AuthorTopic: That darned pump!/ maverick2.4  (Read 788 times)

Offline bradleyorath

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
That darned pump!/ maverick2.4
« on: September 02, 2008, 18:52:22 »
Well I eventually got it off the engine. It took two wallops on my wrist with the hammer (I'll survive) and lots of blows to the side of the pump, the underside of the pump, and when some purchase was eventually made used a screwdriver as a wedge to chisel it off a bit more then two mobike tyre levers once I could get them in with more excessive wallops with the hammer and eventually levered it off. Took massive blows on a socket extension to get it started though and to finish it off. Will have to survey the damage to the underside of the timing case tomorrow, should be able to fill the scrapes with some proprietary goo, hopefully no serious damage.
                                                         I looked on erbay last nite to find a pump and found some lookalikes in america anybody know where I can get a cheapie some-where, they were reasonably priced but the postage was extortionate...must be cos of the fuel and credit crunch, they're usually quite reasonable. Might have to get a distrib drive shaft too but may be able to machine it back into shape  (File)  cos I gave the top of it a few wallops with the socket extension at the beginning.
  Why was it so tight?        hmm there may be two reasons for that, or just one. When I eventually got it off... the bolt who's head had snapped off was bent...now I'm in two minds whether it was bent to start with or I twisted it with my excesses, or because the tyke who was driving it drove it for twenty minutes on reheat with no water and the superheated oil laminated itself together around the base of the pump. 
                     Anyway, I'll still have to check the big ends on the brute before I go any further if they look O.K. I shall try and work my magic on it......if I have any magic left.
  The bolt incidentally was the one nearest the engine, the inside corner of the pump. I was going to attach some pics but this isn't supported very well, or I haven't seen how to do it properly.   
                 Thanks for your help, those who replied to my last post I have to get to work again

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal