AuthorTopic: Which Tyre  (Read 562 times)

Offline diggerdog36

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • I fixed my CD auto changer!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
Which Tyre
« on: September 01, 2008, 20:46:15 »
Like the poll says, I'm looking for a new set of rubber, I want 50/50 on/off road, but having trouble finding them for my wheel size, I would like Goodyear MT/R but they dont make them in my size!! Cooper dont sell any in my size either!!
Any other reccommendations
2000 W Discovery Td5 ES

2" lift, Superwinch Epi9.5,  Mantec Snorkel, General Grabber AT2

Avoid employing unlucky people......simply bin half the applications!!!

Offline HiQ Lee

Attack Member
    • kenilworth
Re: Which Tyre
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 21:13:35 »
easy answer do the same as i did and sell the 18's and buy a set of 16's and get some 245/75r16 tyres that fit with no rubbing
Defender 200tdi
Discovery2 v8

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 22:10:08 »
2 things.

1. how the hell did you set that poll up?! been trying for ages and it just makes me angry!

2. i have a set of 4 18" wheels with general grabber AT2s on them for £450 if your interested.
general grabber is over 100 by its self and these only have 3k on them and you get the wheels.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 00:24:07 »
Used to have general grabber AT2s on my truck. Thought they were shocking, poor grip in both wet and dry on the road and offroad. I would go as far as to say the Insa turbo Saharas thay have been replaced with gripped better in ALL conditions. Only saving grace is they were fairly quiet on the road and I got a set off a vehicle that got rolled for £100 that had done less than 1000 miles!

Chris
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:48:40 »
I can't say I've tried all the tyres on your list, especially as the BFG AT2 must be quite new, but the BFG AT is a mint tyre, one of the best in snow, ok in mud, good at high speed, quiet, handles great runs true, very nice.  The only problem I had (I'd picking spots here) is that my LSE eats them.

I've had Generals, not the grabber but is the others are anything to go by then money well spent I'd say.

Good year :-k, not my favourite.  I find them hard to keep balanced, they wear funny in wider sizes, worst of all people I know who have had them reckon they are soft in the sidewall, once you've run them in it gets worse.  Great off road but cack for towing :doh:

They were OEM on G4 vehicles though :-.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:53 »
I'd second the reccomendation for BFG's. I've been nothing but impressed with mine. They grip better on the road in ALL conditions than the pirelli's i replaced them with, admitedly, they were a bit worn but still legal, they have proved themselves decent off road also. Better in the dry than when it gets muddy but still respectable.

I've done about 12,000 miles on them now and they barely look used - except for the sidewall. Be aware that repeatedly scuffing the kerb when parking will leave you with a big white stripe around the tyre that has to be painted with tyre black or you look like a classic oldsmobile or summat :)

You can always mount them with the writing inwards and never have tis problem but what would be the point in that!!
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Offline diggerdog36

Attack Member
  • I fixed my CD auto changer!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:57:24 »
2 things.

1. how the hell did you set that poll up?! been trying for ages and it just makes me angry!

Simple, when you go into a forum page, for example Discovery or General Discussion, just below the search bar on the right there is a bit that says MARK READ, NOTIFY, NEW TOPIC, POST NEW POLL.
Click on post new poll and hey presto!!!
2000 W Discovery Td5 ES

2" lift, Superwinch Epi9.5,  Mantec Snorkel, General Grabber AT2

Avoid employing unlucky people......simply bin half the applications!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal