AuthorTopic: My new toy  (Read 870 times)

Offline justinmud

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My new toy
« on: September 01, 2008, 18:19:31 »
I am now the proud owner of a very clean series three it is a 1980 and has a 2.5 normally aspirated diesel engine i believe from a 90.
  I have just fitted new rear springs and shocks as the front had been done just before i bought it, now here comes the questions lol, the front springs are 11 leafs so i have fitted 11 leafs on the back and new standard shockers, there were straps that went around the axle and fastened to the body  which were fine with the 7 leaf  leaf springs which were fitted but will not reach round the axle and fasten back where they came from now the 11 leafs are fitted so i have had to leave them off do i need to get some longer ones or will it be ok with out them?.
  Also the front suspension seems relatively stiff but the rear seems quite soft and so cornering is a bit weired and it feels like    it sits down on one side opposite to the corner im going round so it feels like it's going to go side ways. The springs are britpart the same as the front from the same supplier as the front ones and the shockers are the same make as the front ones to, i have fitted them correctly the offside one in the offside and the near side one on the near side and she sits only slightly higher on the rear almost level.
  Other than this problem i am really really happy with her the 2.5 diesel is loads better than the 2 1/4 petrols i have had in the past and is relatively quick and has loads of torque offroad  :D i havent tried it offroad since fitting the new rear springs as i fear i may pop the shocks as i think thats what the straps were for, so please let me know if this is the case as in gagging to go and play.   Here is some pictures of her before i did the rear springs.

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Re: My new toy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 19:02:34 »
As you say, the straps were to prevent over extension of the dampers.  I haven't personally seen this happen yet and I run my motor with no straps.

The spring issues may be related to the brand that they are.  I shall say that said brand doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to leaf springs!

Offline justinmud

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 19:12:45 »
Oops wished i'd have known thought they were cheap.  :|

Offline stratie

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 22:16:00 »
Loveley looking truck mate  :wink:
Parabolics are the way to go  :grin:

Offline justinmud

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 20:15:39 »
I wanted parabolics but they were beyond my means at the mo, but i think i've cracked it i loosened the U bolts on the front springs, and with a strong screw driver prised each spring apart, just enough to squirt some one shot grease between each leaf and re tightened the U bolts, with loads of grease squeezing out as i tightened them. Did the same for the rear and hay presto the front and rear now feel the same, and it corners loads better. Took her green laning today and one of the lanes i went on had some really good axle twisting humps on and articulation is much improved and the shockers are fine  :lol: without the straps.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal