AuthorTopic: 4x4 Response - Surrey?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
4x4 Response - Surrey?
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:41:46 »
I'm watching with interest how many members are part of 4x4 Response networks.

I was wondering if there was any demand for a Surrey chapter - as far as I can see there isn't one already.

I had a look at http://www.4x4response.net/ but the website seems inaccessible.  Any suggestions?
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: 4x4 Response - Surrey?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:15:15 »
The national site has been redesigned and migrated to here: http://www.4x4response.info

If you can get people together then there is plenty of help available to set one up - take a look at the forum and chatroom on the site.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 15:07:32 »
Great site - loads of detail there.

TBH I don't have the time or the perseverance to start a Surrey 4x4 Response group myself, but I'd happily join in if anybody else fancies it.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 19:54:41 »
I thought about looking to see if there was one in Hampshire, but it would be a bit like a Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team. A good idea, but not exactly practical.

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 20:07:07 »
You're in luck...

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk/

I'm only about 1/2 a mile from Berkshire and 3 miles from Hampshire, so I'm tempted to ask to join them!
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 22:16:33 »
You're in luck...

I'm only about 1/2 a mile from Berkshire and 3 miles from Hampshire, so I'm tempted to ask to join them!

Looks good, but if it got that bad, I'd probably have been called in anyway. In all fairness, from what I've seen of Southern bad weather, I'm not too fussed. The worst that happens down here might just make a Norfolk man put a vest on under his shirt!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 22:31:40 »
Wessex 4x4 Response have managed to get invited to a large emergency planning exercise "Exercise Equinox" run by Wiltshire CC. Nobody (apart from the EPO and other officials) knows what it will be about but the grapevine suggests it will be big.

So there would be some call for 4x4 Response down there, but as LSP suggests if you're in emergency services work already then you'd probably be scrambled with your work hat on rather than your volunteer one!

Silvery Thing

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 16:13:22 »
I have heard of these response groups but I fail to understand what good they could do :-.

I used to be in the emergency services and I still don't know what good they could do or what aid they could give 8-[

Please enlighten me!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 16:51:09 »
Mostly we exist to provide logistical support - for example, delivering trailerloads of bottled water for the Red Cross during last year's flooding. Groups have been involved in transporting other volunteer search and rescue bods such as the Dartmoor Search and Rescue Team, along with the obvious ones such as getting health visitors et al through their rounds when heavy snow or flooding defeats their usual vehicles.

We are still working on acceptance by user bodies, many of which are wary of a new volunteer group. The message is getting through however as those that have worked with us are invariably satisfied with the results. If you look on the News section of the National forum you can see what sort of things we get called for.

Powys 4x4 Response raised £1000 for the Welsh Air Ambulance during June/July this year. I think that's something worth celebrating!

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 20:15:21 »
You're in luck...

Im the founder and coordinator for Hants and Berks 4x4 Response, so feel free to ask any questions or join up.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:52:52 »
I have heard of these response groups but I fail to understand what good they could do :-.

I used to be in the emergency services and I still don't know what good they could do or what aid they could give 8-[

Please enlighten me!

When I was working in Norfolk, the local 4x4 response team were very useful when it came to helping with area searches for missing people and were highly thought of by the local Constabulary search co-ordinators.

There is no doubt in my mind that such organisations are a bonus to the Emergency Services, but it is getting the hierarchy of said organisations to actually see and understand what they are capable of.

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:27:17 »
is there one in devon area
just get muddy

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:47 »
is there one in devon area

I think Devon is covered by Wessex members at the moment - see here for details of what groups we have so far:

Silvery Thing

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 18:07:38 »
Mostly we exist to provide logistical support - for example, delivering trailerloads of bottled water for the Red Cross during last year's flooding. Groups have been involved in transporting other volunteer search and rescue bods such as the Dartmoor Search and Rescue Team, along with the obvious ones such as getting health visitors et al through their rounds when heavy snow or flooding defeats their usual vehicles.

We are still working on acceptance by user bodies, many of which are wary of a new volunteer group. The message is getting through however as those that have worked with us are invariably satisfied with the results. If you look on the News section of the National forum you can see what sort of things we get called for.

Powys 4x4 Response raised £1000 for the Welsh Air Ambulance during June/July this year. I think that's something worth celebrating!
More power to the guys for raising money for such a worthy cause :clap:

Please enlighten me!

When I was working in Norfolk, the local 4x4 response team were very useful when it came to helping with area searches for missing people and were highly thought of by the local Constabulary search co-ordinators.

There is no doubt in my mind that such organisations are a bonus to the Emergency Services, but it is getting the hierarchy of said organisations to actually see and understand what they are capable of.
This is interesting.... it is a good way of getting vital staff around during times of bad weather :) Thanks for the info :D

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 00:13:53 »
I thought about looking to see if there was one in Hampshire, but it would be a bit like a Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team. A good idea, but not exactly practical.

I have actually seen a 110 in Norwich with  " Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team" All over it!!!!!!!!!!

Must be for use on Gas Hill.
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:35:01 »
I've sent off my application form to Hampshire & Berkshire, as I'm right on the border of both.

Obviously I'm not going to try this out, but I believe that *technically* I have the right to use a flashing blue light on my Disco, as it has occasionally been used as an ambulance (albeit not in this country, yet). :)  I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that this means it qualifies.  However I've no real desire to be pulled over by the police every 3 minutes so I'm not going to test it out.  Would be fun on the motorways though!
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 10:53:20 »
I've sent off my application form to Hampshire & Berkshire, as I'm right on the border of both.

Obviously I'm not going to try this out, but I believe that *technically* I have the right to use a flashing blue light on my Disco, as it has occasionally been used as an ambulance (albeit not in this country, yet). :)  I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that this means it qualifies.  However I've no real desire to be pulled over by the police every 3 minutes so I'm not going to test it out.  Would be fun on the motorways though!

If it is still in use as an Ambulance then yes It can have a Blue light fitted. However If it is not been used as an ambulance then the fact it used to be one doesn't count for diddly squat. You can't use a blue light on any vehicle unless it is been used as an emergency vehicle. Old US Police cars and ex fire engines/ambulances etc have to have all blue lights  removed from the vehicles whilst on a public highway.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:46 »
If it is still in use as an Ambulance then yes It can have a Blue light fitted. However If it is not been used as an ambulance then the fact it used to be one doesn't count for diddly squat. You can't use a blue light on any vehicle unless it is been used as an emergency vehicle. Old US Police cars and ex fire engines/ambulances etc have to have all blue lights  removed from the vehicles whilst on a public highway.

It is used as an ambulance from time to time, in the sense that it's used to transfer injured people to hospital in an emergency, in unpredictable circumstances (well, that's what happened the last 2 times anyway).  The Norwegians were happy for me to dump it in the ambulance bay...  but then they park their "ambulance" on the helipad so I wasn't exactly in the way!
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 11:18:54 »

It is used as an ambulance from time to time, in the sense that it's used to transfer injured people to hospital in an emergency, in unpredictable circumstances (well, that's what happened the last 2 times anyway).  The Norwegians were happy for me to dump it in the ambulance bay...  but then they park their "ambulance" on the helipad so I wasn't exactly in the way!

I think it has to be registered as an Ambulance and used by a voluntary group like St Johns. or a private hospital/ambulance service. This is a very useful guide to all lighting regs with regards to blue/green/amber lights and also the use of strobes/beacons etc. http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/information/bluelightuse.htm
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal