AuthorTopic: 2.4 petrol maverick head gasket change  (Read 1965 times)

Offline bradleyorath

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2.4 petrol maverick head gasket change
« on: August 28, 2008, 19:35:51 »
Hi people, Ive just finished rebuilding a 110 defender, and at the same time my daughter cooked her maverick engine. Well it is now in the garage so I can fit a new head gasket, the cause of the cooking and my dilemna relates to what I think is the oil pump which is bolted to the front offside of the engine just below the timing chain cover. Problem is one of the bolts has sheared off just below the head and the shank is still through the pump, that which I believe to be the pump. This is what I believe is holding me up from removing the timing chain case. I've tried to move the pump with no avail and at the moment am waiting for a cd manual for the maverick. Hoping it will cover the petrol engine as I got the r20 manual by mistake and it only covered diesel. Anyone know how to get the pump moved?

And as a side note, how are we supposed to put these back together? my hands are like shovels and some of the accessories and carb warming pipes are a real hassle to get at. I'm going to have to get my son or daughter to put some of these bits on for me cos I just can't fit. Do they lift the bodies off these when you put them to a dealer. They're a real jigsaw

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Re: 2.4 petrol maverick head gasket change
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 21:12:51 »
Can't help you but have a look HERE for details on the engine its the same one as in the D21 pick up
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline bradleyorath

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 18:20:37 »
That was great, thanks.
                                         From the associated pdf on that site dealing with oil pump, the oil pump should fall out, but with the shank left in from one of the bolts it is likely rusted on to the pump so I'm going to have to get a little rough with it. I'll try to get some wd40 in there and then try to twist the pump housing. Fingers crossed cos if I wreck the chain houing or pump I'll effectively write off the vehicle. I've had a few bolts shear off on me so far, the ones holding the heat baffle on to the manifold and one that bolts the radiator to the top of the front panel.
                                          thanks again
                                                                Mike

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 18:40:36 »
I've had a few bolts shear off on me so far, the ones holding the heat baffle on to the manifold and one that bolts the radiator to the top of the front panel.

Yes me too, just threw heat sheild away but manged to drill out and retap the rad mount, replaced with stainless.

Whilst the heat sheilds off check your manifold at the 4>2 stage, they have a habit of crcking there, mine has and every other one I've seen in scrap yards etc too, and have read on the US sites they have the same problem. Just took ground the crack a bit, it out for a good beasting to get the manifold nice and hot and then went in with the mig on full whack when I got back, that wa 6months back and it sems to have cured it.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline bradleyorath

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:09:45 »
Well I had another go last nite at taking the oil pump off,  unfortunately it is solid. There is slight rotational movement which gives me to believe that it hasn't been threadlock glued into place and that something is jamming the gear where it meets the crankshaft.  I have tried knocking the top of the shaft that drives the distributor and turned the crankshaft to see if there's any give that way but so far I'm flummoxed.  I had a big stilson on it to try and dislodge it and that didn't work.  All I can say is, so much for the idea of making it accessable,  all that has done is allowed the bolts to kak up.
Worst thing is,  I'm doing 12 hr shifts at the moment and my resolve isn't at its highest.  I hate giving up over stuff like this and as the beast was a short term solution to allow me time to fix my landy,  I probably will have to send it to mr scrappy.  ... life goes on as they say

Mike

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:58:40 »
Where abouts are you mike?
Nissan 4WD CLUB
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II

Offline bradleyorath

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 21:54:56 »
South Wales Nr Bridgend.
                                          Thinking now along the lines maybe the gear wear has stopped the teeth on the pump drive from sliding off the crankshaft gear or as I may have said earlier, somethings dropped below the crank gear and drive gear to stop it dropping off. Won't be able to do anything to it for a couple of days as I am on night shifts now. Working shifts doesn't help as the concentration level drops off. Will have another go on thursday when its my days off.  One of my daughters friends has a newer maverick but the gearbox is gone, a usual occurence my local scrappy told me, but I don't feel up to putting out £200 quid to then have to change gearboxes, which is incidentally the price they charge for a recovered gearbox. I might let her know about this site and ebay though.
                                                                                                        Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal