AuthorTopic: RR Classic speedo  (Read 5354 times)

Offline drmike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
RR Classic speedo
« on: February 21, 2005, 20:27:25 »
The Speedo in my 1977 classic was reading low and in fact would never go over 40 mph. No needle twitching but low reading all the time.

So I changed the speedo head and no change except if anything it now reads lower than before!

There's a little voltage regulator thing on the rear of the instrument pod and it loks like it's sufefred a bit with evidence of burning.

Bring a ray of hope into my life and tell me that could be the reason for both heads reading low. I had to swap the regualtor between heads as the replacement didn't have one.

Other than that I suppose it's new cable time?

TIA

Mike

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
RR Classic speedo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 22:19:55 »
I don't think the voltage regulator has anything to do with the speedo as it is a mechanical device. Before you go and buy a new cable, check the speedo drive on the side of the gearbox where the speedo cable attaches - disconnect the speedo cable at the gearbox, and pull out the drive with a pair of pliers. It should have a square end where the cable locates into it. Mine wouldn't work at all and it turned out that the square drive bit had broken off.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline drmike

Attack Member
RR Classic speedo
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 07:43:39 »
All this misbehaviour started when I had to take lumps of the transfer box and the speedo cable was removed. I have checked it again since but a third time won't hurt I guess.

Better that then changing the cable.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
RR Classic speedo
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 00:49:32 »
Either the speedo cable isn't into one of the square drives properly or the teeth on one of the skew gears is lunched :shock:

Sisters Fiesta did that after about 180,000 miles, every time she took her foot of the gas the speedo hit the pin, would only work under acceleration :?   Diff had moved sideways and eaten the gear, did the same to a new gear in about a week :evil:

Did you say lumps out of transfer box :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline drmike

Attack Member
RR Classic speedo
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 07:50:21 »
Thanks, I am planning to take a look at the gear box end of drive when the weather warms up!

Well I didn't mean lumps out of transfer box but that's actually why I was tehre I blew the centre diff and there were bits of the central spider thing all over the place. I didn't realise but the thing was dropping in and out of diff lock at will. Thankfully a mate had a spare box I could plunder and all seems well now.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal