AuthorTopic: Auto gearbox problems  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Slope

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Auto gearbox problems
« on: February 21, 2005, 17:38:18 »
I have a rangerover classic 4.2 auto 1994

Just recently the gearbox has been playing up, not changing up when it's cold, causing the engine to over rev, and I have also lost drive in reverse gear now.

It drives perfectly going forward when it's warm, but no reverse gear at all. It lost drive in reverse gradually over the space of a week.

I've changed the oil but it has had no effect, although the oil that came out was very dirty, but there were no tell tale bits of metal in it.

The vehicle has been stood for long periods of time.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Auto gearbox problems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 17:55:32 »
It's the governor sticking in the box, I've had the same problem. :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline Slope

Attack Member
Auto gearbox problems
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 18:36:34 »
Quote from: "Paul"
It's the governor sticking in the box, I've had the same problem. :wink:

Cheers :D

Would that stop reverse working too though?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Auto gearbox problems
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 19:28:37 »
Quote from: "Slope"
Would that stop reverse working too though?

Not that I'm aware of.
Paul Wright

Offline Richard-E

Attack Member
Re: Auto gearbox problems
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 14:32:20 »
Quote from: "Slope"
I have a rangerover classic 4.2 auto 1994

Just recently the gearbox has been playing up, not changing up when it's cold, causing the engine to over rev, and I have also lost drive in reverse gear now.

It drives perfectly going forward when it's warm, but no reverse gear at all. It lost drive in reverse gradually over the space of a week.

I've changed the oil but it has had no effect, although the oil that came out was very dirty, but there were no tell tale bits of metal in it.

The vehicle has been stood for long periods of time.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

I've had a similar problem with my 4-speed ZF auto 'box, but mine lost drive completely after a short spell of being intermittent.

The problem, not once but twice was water getting into the box, emulsifying the oil and stripping the lining off the clutches by which the box works. The clutch lining material blocked the internal filter so there was eventually no hydraulic pressure to change gear.

Not even David Ashcroft of Ashcroft Transmission could suggest how the water was getting in, but I suspected the geabox oil cooler, which was a long finned tube (like a caterpillar) mounted beneath the radiator. There was no connection between the two radiators, but both were exposed to the weather such as driving rain. My Range Rover lives outside and gets used for 'laning, both situations where water can be driven against the front of the car onto the radiators.

My solution was to buy a part-exchange rebuilt 'box from Ashcroft Transmissions and to have a new oil cooler, which is mounted on pegs through the ordinary radiator. The cost difference between a repair and the rebuilt box was only about £100, but worth it for peace of mind.

That was in November 2002, since when all has been OK.

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal