AuthorTopic: rear door reversing mirror  (Read 4245 times)

Offline woody

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
rear door reversing mirror
« on: August 23, 2008, 20:13:10 »
these rear door mirrors are often fitted to jap stuff
has anyone fitted one to a discovery
coz i fancy one
sick of trying to judge the distance to hitch up caravan and park in tight spaces
if you have got one where did you get it from
Never underestimate the power of a sick mind !!!!
What would scooby doo!!!!
remember if you camp next to the toilets you get to meet everybody at least once over the weekend
R reg Discovery 300tdi  NAMED: Scooby Doo !

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: rear door reversing mirror
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 20:38:26 »
I was thinking the same thing ...

I was going to the scrapers to find a wing mirror off a van or truck , the type mounted on an arm then just mount it on it's side at the top of the rear door....
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:40:34 »
Wing mirror from a Series or door mirro from a Defender.  They are popular with caravnners.

As for Jap imports, I saw a people carrier with a pop-up aerial on the front bumper so you could tell where the car ended.  Can the japanese not park :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:19 »
if your looking for a mirror off a truck get the kerb mirror from the top of the passanger door. http://www.commercialandplant.co.uk/TruckMirror11.htm

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:29:48 »
I got a radar reversing sensor system off eBay (bnib) for £35.

Not only beeps at you depending on distance, but also LCD display on the dashboard which tells you in metres how far from an obstruction, and which of the 4 sensors is closest to it.

Makes parking 100 times easier, although it wouldn't help quite so much with the trailer.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:44:19 »
I think the problem in Japan is that pretty much every parking space is the nightmare one where you can barely get the car into it. Interestingly the mirrors never seemed to catch on in Europe despite being cheaper and simpler than parking sensors, I'm surprised they were never offered as an option on MPVs and estate cars.

That said, I have seen a number of delivery trucks with an extra mirror above the windscreen to enable the driver to know precisely where the front bumper is.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline woody

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 16:51:45 »
if your looking for a mirror off a truck get the kerb mirror from the top of the passanger door. http://www.commercialandplant.co.uk/TruckMirror11.htm

that looks a good one will have to look into it a bit more before i decide to drill my door
Never underestimate the power of a sick mind !!!!
What would scooby doo!!!!
remember if you camp next to the toilets you get to meet everybody at least once over the weekend
R reg Discovery 300tdi  NAMED: Scooby Doo !

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 17:12:48 »
I think the problem in Japan is that pretty much every parking space is the nightmare one where you can barely get the car into it. Interestingly the mirrors never seemed to catch on in Europe despite being cheaper and simpler than parking sensors, I'm surprised they were never offered as an option on MPVs and estate cars.

That said, I have seen a number of delivery trucks with an extra mirror above the windscreen to enable the driver to know precisely where the front bumper is.

and they are very small people and cant see over the dash board :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 18:04:27 »
I have seen a number of delivery trucks with an extra mirror above the windscreen to enable the driver to know precisely where the front bumper is.

It isn't to see where the bumper is, its for seeing pedestrians in the blind spot below the truck dash.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 00:52:29 »
I have seen a number of delivery trucks with an extra mirror above the windscreen to enable the driver to know precisely where the front bumper is.

It isn't to see where the bumper is, its for seeing pedestrians in the blind spot below the truck dash.

That makes sense.  And here I was thinking it was to make sure they were close enough behind me on the motorway :doh:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:06:54 »
The Jap things tend to sit on the end of a long arm - presumably to give the right angle of vision over the rear of the vehicle... do you really want one of these all the time?

How about a convex kerb mirror as used on trucks - this might mount onto your ladder (if fitted) using a bracket...

Alternative option would be the convex vision panel thing that sticks to the inside of your rear window and gives a 'fish eye' effect... this might allow you to see behind the vehicle (depending on spare wheel location...)

Alternatively, turn to the horsey side... two options for you...

You can get fairly cheap reversing cameras now - ultra small and provide an image of where you are going.

Alternatively - if it's only one caravan that is the real bugbear, fit the mirror to the caravan so that you can see the approaching car.  This is the option that we may well use for my daughter's horse trailer if and when my wife tows...

Hope this helps

Rob
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:28:49 »

Well I never knew that! It does make more sense - was thinking there's not much ahead of the windscreen on a modern truck that you'd need a mirror to tell you where it was.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline muddymud

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 16:40:35 »
i always have problems reversing up to hitch a trailer but one of those jap style rear mirrors angled right would give u a perfect view of the tow bar so you could get it bang on every time an u wouldn't need some one behind u looking all funny waving there arms about an shouting at you lol. or you could go a bit hi-tec an fit a reversing camera looking at the tow bar! it would be sooooo easy to hitch stuff up!

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal