AuthorTopic: Strange Transmission noise on Disco II  (Read 337 times)

Offline Mud_Medic

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Strange Transmission noise on Disco II
« on: August 20, 2008, 00:32:45 »
Hi Guys and Galls

Here is a strange one for you :-k

2000 V8 Disco II auto

Everything starts out OK. After about 60 miles, I get a squeak from the rear transmission, the squeak gets faster the faster I go. :sad:

Braking is unaffected, and it goes away when I apply the brakes.

The really strange thing is, it goes away when I turn right. It is only there when I am going straight or left. :-.

The last time I was out, I checked the wheels, and the rear nearside wheel was hot, (ouch hot) :'(

[-o< Please tell me this isn't going to cost the earth.  :cry:

Thanks in advance

Ed
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Strange Transmission noise on Disco II
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:33:12 »
2 things, either the rear N/S calliper has seized partially or the pads themselves are stuck in the calliper.  My LSE did this when I chnanged the pads because when they are new the stick inside thwe calliper.
It goes away when you're cornering because of the float in the bearings, obvioulsy it goes away when you brake because the pad is in hard contact with the disk.

Strip it, cleanit and carefully apply copper slip.  Check that the wiper (outer) calliper seal is intact on both pistons and that the pistons appear clean and shiney all around.

Worst case, a new calliper for a RRC/Disco1 is about £65 at a guess, yours might be more.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
Re: Strange Transmission noise on Disco II
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:12 »
I have had this on more than one caliper on my Td5 when the seals broke down on the calipers.

Calipers for the Td5 are not cheap from memory, but what I have done in the past is simply rebuild them.  You can get piston and seal kits from Devon 4x4 or Paddocks.  One word of advice if you do go this route, buy two or three extra seal kits as you will never get it right first time.

Your profile doesn't say where you are.  If you're close I'd be happy to assist . . . .  ;)
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal