AuthorTopic: Wheels and tyres?  (Read 961 times)

Offline SteveW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wheels and tyres?
« on: August 18, 2008, 21:27:09 »
I'm currently running 15" Mach 5 rims and 215 Colway tyres on my Jimny but the tyres are getting a bit worn so I have a few options and was just wondering on peoples opinions.

First option is to just replace with a new set of tyres in about the same size. Ok but a bit boring and I could do with a bit more clearance on the diffs.

Second option is to go for a bigger set of tyres on the same rims. Ok but all the tyres I seem to like the look of only come in 16"!

Third option is to go all out and get a set of 16" rims giving me a better selection of tyres to choose from and allowing the extra clearance to the diffs.

Whats anyones opinion on this and what work will I have to do to fit somit like 31's under the arches? I've already cut the front down and I know the back will need trimming to get 31's under but are there any other things that need considering and how badly will 31's scrub on full articulation?

Any opinions and recommendations from people would be much appreciated.

Steve.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: Wheels and tyres?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 23:59:26 »
To fit 31" tyres you will have to do a lot of trimming, and raise the bump stops on the front axels. You will also have to flatten the seam on the main body behind the front tyres and possibly flatten this area back a bit as well. As for 15 or 16 inch rims - swings n rounda bouts. I've found most tyres I've fancied are available in both sizes. If you go 16" then Vitara steel rims can be picked up cheap enough. I've also heard that Diatsu Four track 15" rims give better off set. I've got 15" 8 spokes on mine. The biggest issue you will have with 31 " tyres is gearing. %th will become redundant and even 4th hard work on motorways etc unless you fit either a rock lobster SJ conversion or a Trial Jimny gear set.
..V..

Offline dainott

Attack Member
Re: Wheels and tyres?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 16:17:15 »
i have just bought a N plate Vit and wondering on wheel/tyre setup and getting a good balance between getting somewhere on road and then still having decent clearance off road so interested in peoples input on this one. What does everyone think is a good overall size.

PS Im planning a 3" body lift and a 2" suspension lift.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal