AuthorTopic: I need a baby seat (9m to 4y). Been told to move the seat belt mounts? MOT Fail?  (Read 653 times)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I need a new baby seat for the age range 9 months to 4 years (or better still 9 months to 11 years). It's needed for the rear seat of an (internally) standard 4 Door 95 300 series Disco.

My wife and I have spent the weekend trawling baby seat suppliers to no avail. The position of the seatbelt mount on the wheel arch means that the seats all have lateral movement. I was told by one supplier to move the seat belt mount further back on the wheel arch or better still mount it onto the boot floor. Both of these positions will pull the seat back into the rear seat and will eliminate lateral movement.

Now the Discos are frequently used as family buses so there must be MC'ers in the same boat.

My quesions are.......

What seats do you use for the age range 9 months to 4 years?
Has anybody relocated the seat belt mounts? If so - what seat do you use?
How does this affect the MOT?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 18:19:42 by auf_wiedersehen_pet »
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline Mud-muncher1

Attack Member
Hi there, first of all, whats sort of motor is it going into and secondly, is it going to be in the front or rear seat?, we had a similar problem but found that a britax eclipse si was the best sitting seat, it sat well in the rear seats but not so well in the front, hope this has helped and if you want pic's of the fitting i will post,

Thx Jav.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, then reverse over it...

Attack Member
Hi there, first of all, whats sort of motor is it going into and secondly, is it going to be in the front or rear seat?, we had a similar problem but found that a britax eclipse si was the best sitting seat, it sat well in the rear seats but not so well in the front, hope this has helped and if you want pic's of the fitting i will post,

Thx Jav.

Hi Jav,

It's needed for the rear seat of an (internally) standard 4 Door 95 300 series Disco. (I've modified the original post to include this info).

We tried several Britax seats but I can't remember the Eclipse SI. Some photos would be nice if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks.
Rob Steele

Offline Mud-muncher1

Attack Member
Hi, i've sent by them by email as to big for forums, rust not included  :grin:

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
if i remember correctly landrover sell baby seats for landys
just get muddy

Attack Member

Thx Jav.

Hi Jav,

Thanks for the photos. Looks good - definitely an option.
Rob Steele

Offline Mud-muncher1

Attack Member
No prob's, that 1 was from toys r us and i think we payed about £80 to £100 for it but its a great seat and it fits the seat perfectly.

Jav.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
I have had the same problem. I would not reccomend any other seat then the Britax Rennaisance range. They have a good fit, and they have a lever on the side, you pull it, and it pushes a foot out of the bottom to tighten the seat in almost solid. Please, go and try one. Youll know what i mean then. We had our son in one from 9 months, up until about 5 years.

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
When we got ours (admittedly for the RR) there was so much rubbish from the "Experts"it was silly.

Expert means they have done the course on what that shop sells and no more than that.

Try and look up Nania (Kiddiecaze.com or preciouslittleones.com)- very good and the prices are very good.

Top tip; go for the stage 2 first 9 months to 4 years - we have both (it fitted with the move) but prefer to use that one, she is so much better supported if she falls asleep in the car. IF you have a second child then the chances are by four years you will need a second one anyway.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
There are loads of suitable child seats out there that will fit a Discovery 1 ~ as previously recommended.

Our grand-daughter is currently in a Graco Junior which we bought when she outgrew the Maxi-Cosi she had from a baby.

The muppet that suggested you move the seat belt mount needs his head seeing to (preferably with a large baseball bat). What utter nonsense!

Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal