AuthorTopic: Yep she's off the road...again!!!  (Read 495 times)

dazliss

Yep she's off the road...again!!!
« on: July 18, 2008, 18:56:27 »
More Disco woes I'm afraid. While taking my son to scouts the other night I went to turn out of the street and lost power steering, I then noticed the battery light on so I surmised that the Fan/ ancillery drive belt had snapped. When I got out and under the bonnet I found that it had in fact managed to jump off. Upon closer inspection it torned out the tensioner was shot. Now I've managed to get hold of a new belt and tensioner but was wondering if I'm going to have to remove too many parts to remove the old and fit the new. after cutting myself to shreads on the fan getting the belt back on to limp home I'm guess at least the fan will need to be removed. Can I get away with just that?

oops should have mentioned she's a 2000 TD5
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 18:58:51 by dazliss »

Offline freelanderpx54

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Yep she's off the road...again!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 22:22:42 »
Fairly easy job to do. It helps to remove the fan (Using a 32 mm spanner I think) I have the difflock spanners which helped.  The tensioner is held on by one bolt which is a 10mm socket if memory serves me correctly.

Reason I know, I replaced the alternator on mine recently :doh:

It will probably take you longer to get your tools out :shock: and out them away  to replace the tensioner

Cheers
John

dazliss

Re: Yep she's off the road...again!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 16:33:26 »
Thank's for the info. Job's done now but I couldn't get the fan off so went from underneath. Was slow progess with no room to swing the ratchet but got there in the end. Turn's out the bolt was 14mm but the job itself was straight forward enough. Only problem I had was doing it on my own I couldn't get the leverage on the tensioner and root the belt at the same time so had to rope in a spare pair of hands :oops:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal