AuthorTopic: auto box kick down  (Read 342 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
auto box kick down
« on: July 07, 2008, 15:55:44 »
I am in the proccess still of changing my engine over.

the new engine was a manual so no kick down bits on the engine for the auto box. Can I live without the kick down? Will it damage the gear box as I guess that isn't cheap to repair.

My thinking is without kick down it will make life a lot easier when towing as sometimes all I want is a little extra revs but same gear is fine but kick down comes in instead. I very rarely use kick down with my foot anyway and select a lower gear before a hill if needs be.

Just thought I would pick your brains.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Re: auto box kick down
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 15:57:30 »
I think you will find that without kickdown you will be vulnerable in any situation where you need to accelerate out of the way of anything, just imagine always being in 4th and needing to get out of the way ..... I wouldn't recommend it.
--
Neil

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: auto box kick down
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 16:12:25 »
would the engine not go down by itself eventually though or does it only go down the gears with kick down?

How do I install kick down to the new engine then? I see extra bits n bobs ontop of throttle linkage area but cant for the life of me work out how to unbolt it all or what exactly is different except a wiring loom plug.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal