AuthorTopic: Opinions on this frontera  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Redcoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Opinions on this frontera
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:01:27 »
Looking for a 4x4 as my first project.  Dont have much money and have been offered this, which seems on the face of things to be a good deal.  If i can get some ideas of how good this offer really is and what i have to look out for, that would be awesome.

Thanks

ok full details:

N reg (1995)
2 Liter petrol- manual
Frontera sport s, Apache- Short wheel base
hard removable top
Towing gear
Bull bars
Wrangler Goodyear tyres
Copper orange (if of course the colour will make a difference when i intend to turn it mud brown)

11 months MOT
Tax to end of august

2 previous owners
50k miles

Only wants £700 for it, although not sure if he will lower this price?

I trust the guy selling that it isn't a nail, i bought my 306 from him, and he wouldnt sell a piece of crap to family...i hope.

But what else do i need to look out for on this car? I have been warned that the gear boxes are pretty poor.  Is this something that is quite a regular problem with the frontera

Can i get good and bad points about this purchase, as dont have a massive amount of money to play with.

My other option was a Vitara, but not sure if i will get so much car for my money with this Frontera offer.

Thanks a lot.

Ryan

PS, for those that have seen this message on the Freelander board, yes, i thought it was a freelander until the picture was sent to me. My bad  :roll:

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: Opinions on this frontera
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:12:37 »
2.0 Fronteras are very thirsty and kinda slow......  Pretty strong and solid though....
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:43:38 »
sounds ok to me, fronteras are quite capable beasts, and nothings as thirsty as my sportrak!
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Drift

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:00:34 »
I ussed to have a 96 Apache and loved it, look around 26mpg urban driving, I went from Liverpool to Helston in Cornwal on a tankfull ( 80L ) and the car had four people in and tons of stuff, so not to bad.
Being an Apache it should be coil sprung, always a bonus.

The engine is a lot better than you think and real easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap.

The price sounds good and you might even get some sun to get the top off  :cool:

Oh, gear boxes are isuzu and very good dunno where the weak one was  :lol: most break because some garages use gear oil in them when they should have engine oil in them thats what [!Expletive Deleted!] them up.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:03:53 by Drift »

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 14:04:45 »
Personally i think the 2.0litre is not man enough for the weight of a frontera, and if you intend giving it some abuse the front diffs are a weak spot!
If its just for a spot of laning then im sure it will be fine ;)

Cheers

Mark

Offline Rich60

Attack Member
  • Cherokee 4.0Ltr, Suzuki X90, Nissan Terrano 2.7td
    • Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 15:34:44 »
Frontera was a good old vehicle the body although built in the UK, was based on the Isuzu Amigo sold in the USA.
All the parts are either Vauxhall or Isuzu (General Motors), the only things that you should watch out for are engine oil sump gasket leaks on the diesel and the rear diff pinion oil seals on all models. They used the Isuzu rear diff which all leaked, and this wasn't cured befor fitting to the Frontera.
The rear diff pinion nut works loose causing a diff noise so this should be checked.
Other than that, not to bad.
I was a technician for Vauxhall when the first Frontera was introduced and because of my interset in four wheel drives, I was sent on all the Frontera courses in Luton.
I was also there when the Mk2 came out and attended courses on them as well... :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 15:40:05 by Rich60 »
Greetings From The Cesspit Of The Earth...

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 16:54:37 »
The rear axle on the early fronteras was a sailsbury axle, these leaked because the diff cover was a piece of tin which rotted very quickly! It was a common problem on all the early ones  ;)

Cheers

Mark

Offline Redcoat

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 17:04:25 »
thanks a lot for the info everyone.  Much appreciated

I think I am going to put in a lower offer for it and see what the guy says.  The car itself seems in great condition but Im a tiny bit reluctant as my Dad (also wanting to do offroading with me= me getting funds from him)  ;) will probably disown me if i get one.  He just dont like them and wants a Hilux.

Im going to see if the guy still has it and then just hide news of purchase until my Dad is sitting comfortably  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal