AuthorTopic: Gan i get opinions on this freelander please?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Redcoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Gan i get opinions on this freelander please?
« on: July 05, 2008, 19:45:37 »
Looking for a 4x4 as my first project.  Dont have much money and have been offered this, which seems on the face of things to be a good deal.  If i can get some ideas of how good this offer really is and what i have to look out for, that would be awesome.

Thanks

ok full details:

N reg (1995)
2 Liter petrol- manual
Freelander sport s, Apache- Short wheel base
hard removable top
Towing gear
Bull bars
Wrangler Goodyear tyres
Copper orange (if of course the colour will make a difference when i intend to turn it mud brown)

11 months MOT
Tax to end of august

2 previous owners
50k miles

Only wants £700 for it, although not sure if he will lower this price?

I trust the guy selling that it isn't a nail, i bought my 306 from him, and he wouldnt sell a piece of crap to family...i hope.

But what else do i need to look out for on this car? My friend has informed me that the head gaskets are liable to wave the white flag and give in the second I turn the key on the petrol (which this is). Is this an expensive replacement or would it be possible to look into its current quality and replace the head gasket as a preventative measure.

I don't know how much the above comment of seeing if i can replace the head gasket before it breaks signifies my 'newbie' status but am i being realistic?

Can i get good and bad points about this purchase, as dont have a massive amount of money to play with.

My other option was a Vitara, but not sure if i will get so much car for my money with this Freelander offer.

Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
Re: Gan i get opinions on this freelander please?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 20:14:01 »
1st: Freelander was never available as 2.0l petrol

2nd: Freelander came into production in 1997

I am not aware of an 'Apache' Sports version and wheelbase is same on 3 and 5 door models

after that if it is petrol it will be 1.8 which was prone to head failure - check if this has been done
other than that 50K for 13yr old car is not bad (under 4k per year) - I would certainly check documentation to justify that

Freelanders do perform off-road but are not a Defender or Discovery so don't expect extreme off road operation
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

Offline Redcoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 20:16:27 »
it seems that my cousin has been a bit of a muppet, he texted me a picture and it looks to me like a Vauxhall Frontera, NOT a Freelander.

Sorry for the balls up there.....sooooo....i know its the wrong board, but any opinions on this FRONTERA?  :lol:

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:56:50 »
Beat me to it Redcoat-the APACHE is a 2.0l  frontera sport model and available at that age. What i would say having owned two of these is firstly check the propshaft donought is not worn as for an example:- FRONTERA is £80 to replace and a LANDY one is £16-£18,plus unless you have a good source for parts you will be hit by the dealer prices but having said this they are ok offroad as we have one at work as a 4x4 ambulance.Cheers Andy.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:41 »
The price sounds a little on the high side, but it is low mileage. There are plenty of reasonable Fronteras on AutoTrader for £500-£600 with reasonable mileage.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal