AuthorTopic: hub lockers and 4 wheel drive box?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline muddymud

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
hub lockers and 4 wheel drive box?
« on: July 04, 2008, 21:09:06 »
hi,
i have a diahatsue forurtrack with locking front hubs, what do these do as i just leav them in locked and use the 4 wheel drive box to change from 2 to 4 wheel drive.

Cheers,
Nick

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Re: hub lockers and 4 wheel drive box?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 21:29:28 »
The free wheeling hubs disconnect the from wheels from the driveshafts - supposed to help with fuel economy as you're not draging the front shafts and diff around, though interestingly (or not) Nissan deleted them from the very last of the Terrano 2's so with focus on CO2 emissions my bet is their testing showed no real gain - I might bewrong though.

Most newer jap trucks have auto hubs, you jut have to reverse up to dissengage them. I leave mine enganged all day when I'm out green laning and as you say just shift from 4x2 to 4x4 and back as appropriate and then I dissengage them when I'm done for the day - Thats what I'd advise you do with yours.

I assume you know not to drive in 4x4 on ard dry surfaces or you'll end up breaking something in the transmission.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline muddymud

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:10:36 »
thanks for that every thing i need to know!

i only use my truck as an offroad toy so will just leave the hubs in lock all the time. an i only put it in 4x4 if im getting stuck or on slippery surfaces. love 2x4 on the hard stuff bit of tail out action  :D

Cheers,
Nick

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:48:32 »
you ght want to check out the daihatsu drivers uk website (via google), theres detailed explanations of everything daihatsu on there.
hope you get on well with it.
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal