AuthorTopic: Mitsubishi Shogun Mk1 (1988) Engine Swap.  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Rich60

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Cherokee 4.0Ltr, Suzuki X90, Nissan Terrano 2.7td
    • Jersey
  • Referrals: 0
Mitsubishi Shogun Mk1 (1988) Engine Swap.
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:53:28 »
I want to replace the engine in my shogun with a smaller unit, upto 2ltr petrol or 2.5ltr diesel.
Has any one ever fitted an engine from another vehicle, ie. Ford VTech, Vauxhall EcoTech, or any make of diesel other than Mitsubishi?
Thanks for any help.
Greetings From The Cesspit Of The Earth...

Offline Onan The Barbarian

Attack Member
Re: Mitsubishi Shogun Mk1 (1988) Engine Swap.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:46:55 »
Can I ask why, Matey?  :?

The Mitsubishi engine is damned good lump, as long as it's well maintained... I can't think why you'd want a smaller power plant pulling a 2.5 tonne truck around?  :-k

Offline Rich60

Attack Member
  • Cherokee 4.0Ltr, Suzuki X90, Nissan Terrano 2.7td
    • Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:53:26 »
Yes the Mitsubishi engine is a great lump and mine has more than proved it's worth. I have had the vehicle for five years and the engine was knackered when I got it but it starts first time every time, just keeps on going.
It pumps engine oil into the cooling system, but no water gets into the oil. I has replaced the head gasket (head skim at the same time), head was checked over for cracks etc but it made no difference. I think that there is a crack in the block but don't want to mess around looking for it as the car is to old to spend loads of money on.
Every 4/5 months I refill the engine with oil, and drain the cooling system which by this time is filled with oil. I have also replaced all the cooling system hoses as the oil has made them go very soft and they keep blowing.
This is only my going to work/play car, and I thought that it would be a bit of fun and interesting to change things around.
My other car is a mint condition 2001, 4ltr Jeep Cherokee which I also love (not as much as my Shogun).
I am by the way a motor mechanic (29 years now) and worked for the local Mitsubishi dealership in the 80's which was when I fell in love with Shoguns. All the engine rebuilds and swap that we did were with standard items so I have never tried to fit anything else it to them. I was wondering if any one has played around with such a project.
Hope this sheds some light on my request, and thanks for your reply.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 23:24:15 by Rich60 »
Greetings From The Cesspit Of The Earth...

Offline Onan The Barbarian

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 17:15:40 »
Ah, I see why now!  But I think I'd be looking for a cheap short engine... or, just for the sheer hell of it, a nice growling V8! :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal