AuthorTopic: Engine revs  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Merlin

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine revs
« on: February 16, 2005, 20:01:45 »
After fitting a different ECU (old one had probs) my engine now revs HIGH on start up for some seconds & then slowly settles down to normal revs.  It does this every time, hot or cold, run for a few secs. or a long time, just the same.  As this has only happened since changing the ECU & also that this didn't happen with the other one I presume it must be to do with the re-placement unit.
Is there any way to fix this? or could it be something else?--Cogs
1990 RR Vogue SE 3.9 EFI-Auto

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Engine revs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 23:39:10 »
I've just changed our hot-wire system after the ECU failed, I'm changing the whole lot as I have got it now.  It's a complete system from a car that runs and it does the same thing you have described, annoying isn't it?

I think it's because the car is missing a few sensors, road speed, gearbox resister, ac input etc so the ECU is unsure as to the operating condition of the engine.

If you have a Haynes manual thry running through the diagnostic checks for the EFi system that are listed in the supliment.

BTW can anyone recomend a plug-in diagnostic reader that isn't going to cost an arm & a leg for the Lucas Hot-Wire system?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Merlin

Attack Member
Engine revs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 11:27:13 »
Annoying it certainly is.  The "old" ECU caused the mis-fire talked about earlier but didn't have the high rev. problem.  Am thinking about getting it overhauled/re-built ?? but don't know where to look.  Apart from asking round at the "Spring Adventure" can you reccomend anyone who does this.
Sounds rather a B-I-G job, replacing that lot.--Cogs

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Engine revs
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:50:26 »
Ditto.  I asked around about a recon ECU, Rimmers do them (actually someone else does them for Rimmers) and they are £300 ish plus your old ECU :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Cheaper to buy S/H

The reason I'm swapping the systme is
a) I don't think much to the workmanship of the guy who fitted it
b) It was the early and very rare 87/88 type ECU so I'm not sure the sensors are correct anyway.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Merlin

Attack Member
Engine revs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 14:29:19 »
My second hand one cost £100 from a pal (Steve Graham L/R's).  One went on "E" bay last week for £50 from Range-Rover Heaven so I will try & find another one for about that price to try to see if it cures my high revving problem.. I have never liked revving cold engines high, especially on start-up as I like the oil to be well around the engine-block first.--cogs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal