AuthorTopic: Steering swivels  (Read 351 times)

Offline bigwood

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering swivels
« on: June 25, 2008, 14:40:36 »
Now I have mastered my wheel wobbles , preloaded, my knackered offside swivel is leaking oil. I thought this was the going to happen when I disturb it. Much to my suprise the new swivels offered in Padocks kit are Teflon coated.  :roll: I assume this is to prevent the old problem of the chrome peeling off as it has on my old one?.
Old Landrovers dont die they just fade to a red oxide colour.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Re: Steering swivels
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 15:23:49 »
I believe so... unless it's a mod for expedition vehicles... to allow you to cook breakfast when you roll yer beastie from an unexpectedly high sand dune!

:lol: :lol:

Offline bigwood

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 14:08:58 »
 :undecided:Before I commit myself to doing the swivel change bit I wondered if any one out there has used the kits from Padocks :---- Swivels , seals, shims ,etc. I can remember doing the gaiters on the Army Landrovers, they were samois leather sown up with a lace thing.In practice they didn't work because they tore open next time we played soldiers off road. For what I use my Disco for I wont be bothering with gaiters, just passing the next test and enjoying the occasional green lane will do for now. As for cooking on things I can realy show my age by reminding you about series 3 grills, they melt when used for the camp cooking , not like series two,s . :lol:
Old Landrovers dont die they just fade to a red oxide colour.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 16:24:51 »
Not used the paddocks kits but if they're like most things from there... should be OK.

I changed my CV joints a couple of years back and it meant taking both swivels apart. I chose to change the seals at the same time for obvious reasons and despite the fact that I was working from the book and didn't have a convenient ramp to put things at a comfortable height, I managed ok. Yes.,.. I managed OK in three days of rain... but hey... I did it!

Good luck

Skibum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal