AuthorTopic: Jimnys and water!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline SteveW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Jimnys and water!
« on: June 18, 2008, 19:03:49 »
Hi there I was wondering if anyone could tell me how waterproof the Jimny engine. I know its a petrol so its got all the water resistancy of a rich tea biscuit but how bad is it, anyone know?

Also whats the best way to improve it a bit because there are an awful lot of electrics that would be very upset with me if I go dunking them in the water!

I know a snorkel is going to be a first but just wondered about all the electrical stuff! whats the best way to improve things?

Steve.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: Jimnys and water!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 19:20:19 »
Just fit a snorkel - and treat everything else with a water repelant - NOT WD40 as this uses a water base solvent and will eventualy reabsorb water. Wurth 2040 spray is excellent. The coil packs etc sit on top of the engin and the Jimny will be floating (all be temperarily) by the time water reaches here. The alternator is vulnerable but again treat it with water dispersant before and after and it will last longer. I've had mine with water over the bonnet and the engin kept running. The most problems I have are with the starter motor which will stick if dunked too often.
..V..

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 19:26:37 »
Cheers glaggs

I'll try that prior to going anywhere where I'm going to be swimming in the thing and I'm gonna look at getting a snorkel fitted sometime soon, I know thats one job that needs doing.

Steve.

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 14:00:39 »
im sure my mate damo will be along soon to tell you about his watery experiences, but it the mean time all ill say is that hes given both of his jimnys some abuse through water, both without snorkels and both are still running as smooth as they were before

another really obvious thing to do is remove the viscous engine fan and fit an electric fan. not only will you protect your radiator in the rare chance that it gets sucked towards the rad, but you can turn an electric off to stop water and other muddy rubbish being flung around your engine bay. fitting one to my vit made cleaning the engine after a lot easier.
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:09 »
Cheers, thats good to know and I'll look at getting the fan sorted, might even look at doing that before the snorkel.

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 14:55:45 »
Glaggs or anyone else from the barnsley area

Do you know of anywhere that stocks Wurth 2040 or is it a buy over the internet only thing?

Steve.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 20:03:42 »
It tends to be a trade thing - as most folk buy WD  - Try Worsborough Motor spares they had some, or Bennetts Motorcycles used to be Wurth agents so should be able to get it in.
..V..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal