AuthorTopic: Series 1 Fan Belt  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Wattle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series 1 Fan Belt
« on: June 16, 2008, 13:12:00 »
I have a 1956 86" series 1, it has the 2 litre petrol engine and dynamo fitted. I am trying (without any success) to fit a new fan belt. The belt that came off is the same as the one going on, it has GFB 40995 marked on both of them. I think this is a Unipart number for this model.

I struggled getting the old belt off even though it was stretched and badly split, and the dynamo is as far back as possible. The new belt just does not look long enough, it could do to be an inch or two longer. Is there a method of fitting them other than brute force, because i have already tried that. Or is there a longer belt that is available.

Thanks Phil

Offline BeJay

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Series 1 Fan Belt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 14:04:32 »

.....by saying "the dynamo is back as far as possible" I assume you mean you've slackened the mounting and adjustment bolts and pushed it as close to the engine block as it will go, if so just make sure the belt is seated in the 'V' of the crankshaft pulley and the 'V' of the waterpump pulley then press the belt down into the 'V' of the dynamo pulley with your thumb and turn the engine by pulling on one of the fan blades or using the starting handle if you can reach, and the belt should feed onto the dynamo pulley as you turn the engine over, then just adjust the tension again. hope this helps, it sounds confusing to me now I've written it down  :?  :?  but don't worry it's actually quite simple if you can understand what I mean  :lol: :lol:

................cheers, Jack.

nil illigitimus carborundum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal