AuthorTopic: whistling noise m reg 1994 2.7 td non intercooled  (Read 1726 times)

Offline trottster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
whistling noise m reg 1994 2.7 td non intercooled
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:17 »
on acceleration i have a whistling noise from the engine but cant decide wether it is from the inlet or exhaust side if the engine  so perhaps i will have to strip off both sides to inspect the gasket ?
also at the back of the inlet manifold near the egr valve there appears to be what looks like a dump vale  or is it something else ????

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Re: whistling noise m reg 1994 2.7 td non intercooled
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 20:28:47 »
As far as I know a dump valve was never fitted to these at the factory:roll:I've had a look at fitting one to my TDI & it will be a bit of a job because of the intercooler to turbo pipe being so short :evil:but one the earlier ones like yours someone may have done it :roll: :roll:I'm not sure on your whistling noise as some turbos do seam the make a noise where others don't, but I would check that all the turbo pipes are tight :D
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 19:16:40 »
Dump valve on a diesel - ashtray on a motorbike comes to mind.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 21:25:27 »
Dump valve on a diesel - ashtray on a motorbike comes to mind.

There is on a Honda Goldwing ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline trottster

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 21:52:05 »
definately a factory fit valve  just looks like a valve on its own screwed into the inlet manifold at the back  just wondered if that was leaking as it also feels under powered when towing uphill ??????
whats a clutch like to do with it on axle stands or is it a no no ??

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 16:46:50 »
diesels dont have dump valves: no butterfly valve in the throttle. of course you can fit one, but it wouldnt have any noticable improvements, just make the boy racers back off :lol:

the whistling is most probably the turbo spooling. its perfectly normal, mine does it too (2.7tdi). if you listen to any turbo tuned car, they all do it.

heres a good video

here

its of a couple of diesel tuned mercs. you can here the turbo whine (i think) at 1.10 and 1.24
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 22:15:44 »
the whistling is most probably the turbo spooling. its perfectly normal, mine does it too (2.7tdi). if you listen to any turbo tuned car, they all do it.
I can't hear my turbo, but i've heard others say the say about their 2.7TDI's :roll:

definately a factory fit valve  just looks like a valve on its own screwed into the inlet manifold at the back  just wondered if that was leaking as it also feels under powered when towing uphill ??????
whats a clutch like to do with it on axle stands or is it a no no ??
I'm wondering if the valve you are on about is an EGR valve as some were fitted with them where others were'nt & if it's playing up a bit it would drop your performance as would the mini filter in the fuel pump if it's dirty.As for the clutch i've heard it's a big job as you have to strip loads off to get the G/box out

Disco 2 V8 powered

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal