AuthorTopic: Can you help ?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline parareguk

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Can you help ?
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:08:51 »
Hi my series clutch went last night>>>[!Expletive Deleted!],has anybody got any idears on what could of gone ....the pedal seems to have no compression apart from the spring....also the pedal only has abour 2/3 travel and now comes to a dead stop at this point......just before this happend had a funny smell from somewhere and there was a sound of somthing breaking?
Whats the best place to start my inspections etc.....cheers bryan

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
Re: Can you help ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:18:05 »
Sounds to me like the clutch fork has given up.  :'( If it has it will mean a major strip down either the engine or gearbox out and from memory the gearbox cross member is welded to the chassis and would have to be removed upwards through the floor, unless the vehicle is military spec which I believe had a bolt in cross member.

Good luck and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  :?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:21:29 by Frankie-Boy »
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline Artwigwa

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 14:48:20 »
Hi my series clutch went last night>>>[!Expletive Deleted!],has anybody got any idears on what could of gone ....the pedal seems to have no compression apart from the spring....also the pedal only has abour 2/3 travel and now comes to a dead stop at this point......just before this happend had a funny smell from somewhere and there was a sound of somthing breaking?
Whats the best place to start my inspections etc.....cheers bryan

What your saying happened to me not long ago   :roll:   After removing the gearbox I found the clutch release baring had collapsed. As Frankie-Boy says it's a 'gearbox out' job, though it can be done by removing rear drive shaft and moving the gearbox back a few inches!

Let us know how you get on..

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 18:41:41 »
Before pulling the box out, check that you have fluid in the clutch resovoir, just in case a hose has burst.

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 00:42:57 »
feel your pain iv been there! does sound like release bearing or clutch fork, its worth checking the rest of system first tho, but if u need to get to clutch easiest is proberly trying to slide the box back a few inches using an engine hoist on the inside, good-luck either way.
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal