AuthorTopic: Engine transplanting.  (Read 340 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine transplanting.
« on: June 10, 2008, 21:54:56 »
This weekend I will be swapping my engine over for another 300tdi. I have 2 mates who are coming to help me. The only thing we are unsure about is the new engine has been a manual and my disco is an auto. what will we need to do for the gear box on mounting it? Is there anything we need to remove or add from the new engine or can we just unbolt the bell housing and pop the new one on? Will all the auto box fluids leek out? if so I need to buy more obviously!

Also we think the starter motor will be diffrent. I am unsure about this. Does my auto have a different starter motor to a manual. This engine being it is from an S plate I think may even have the gubbins for cruise control???

Cheers

MJ
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: Engine transplanting.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:52 »
An auto has no flywheel, just ring gear and a plate (check it for cracks). I think the starters are the same though. The flywheel housings may be different as well, but it will be easily noticeable if they are. Just swap over the necessary bits from your old engine.
It might be a wise idea to replace the crank rear seal while the engine is out.

Les.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: Engine transplanting.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 21:27:09 »
I have been and bought some new oil, filter and anti freeze and also the gasket/seal that goes between the engine and gear box. It is alot smaller than I thought it would be, seeming the size of the bell housing is so huge.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal