AuthorTopic: how delicate are jimny front axles?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
how delicate are jimny front axles?
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:35 »
a mate has an 04 my jimny 3 door.

it has made it so far in standard trim but needed an axle rebuild about a fortnight ago as it had started to klunk.

he had it away to a garage who from what i can gather did the king pins, wheel bearings and possibly rebiult/replaced a freewheel. this was charged at over £700!

within a week the klunking is back so the garage was given chance to explain/rectify. they say that suzuki have told them to fill the freewheel full of grease and the noise will stop! my bottom it will, that sounds like the biggest bodge i've yet heard akin to gearboxes and saw dust.

so is it a case of the front axles on jimnys being super fragile or a garage on the rob not doing what they say?

any advice would be welcome.

i'm not touching it as that gives the garage a get out of goal free card which they can spin for.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline mlines

Attack Member
Re: how delicate are jimny front axles?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 20:54:38 »
We need more details on the clunk....

when does it happen? - pulling away? travelling in 2wd, travelling in 4wd? Going over bumps, steering hard left (or right), braking

what is it like (ie just one CLUNK or goes clunk,clunk,clunk as he drives)

Lots of grease in the freewheeling hubs tends to be a solution for the manual hubs on the older Suzukis, the Jimnys have vacuum hubs which are different.

Sounds to me like they are trying it on, it looks like they randomly changed things to diagnose the problem.

Give us more detail  :)

Martin
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 20:56:33 by mlines »
Martin Lines
http://www.BigJimny.com

Suzuki Jimny 1.3JLX, Kap 3" Spring Lift, Kap Full External Roll Cage and Front/Rear Bumpers, RockLobster T-Box conversion, ARB Locker, Viair Air System, Recaro Seats

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: how delicate are jimny front axles?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 21:43:05 »
More detail on clunking. KIng pins don't usualy clunk when knacked. Wheel bearings might. My thoughts would be worn rubber bush some where, free wheeling hubs not dissengaging so front prop is turning when setting off/stopping. Worn front or rear UJ. Rear wheel bearings, which do clunk when worn or worn CV joint if noise is when turning on a fairly tight lock.
..V..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal