AuthorTopic: L200 Lack of Power  (Read 17256 times)

Offline KingWolf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
  • Referrals: 0
L200 Lack of Power
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:17 »
Hi everyone.

I've just dropped in from the Discovery section for some help...!!! I have a friend with an L200 which is suffering from the a lack of power. when he puts his foot on the throttle the engine hesitates before accelerating off, normally in a cloud of black smoke. Also it's currently doing about 30 miles to £10 worth of diesel.

He originally thought it was his EGR valve so has replaced this with a second hand unit but this has made no difference. He has noticed that his exhaust is a bit knackered towards the back and at one section this is blowing (or as he describes it 'Hissing')

I have now experience of these vehicles so thought someone on here may have some ideas. So it's over to you guys...!!!!

It's on a 'Y' plate if that makes any difference.

Many thank in advance

Mark
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline mad geordies

Attack Member
Re: L200 Lack of Power
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:58:51 »
is the temp ok? if it is lacking power could be fuel filter knacked, diesel leak, timing out ( if its 2.5) blocked injector, turbo on its way out, ( take pipe of turbo and feel the centre with the engine stopped lol feel for play on the centre bearing, black smoke normally means over fueling need a bit more on it so i can try to help coz it could be any of those things mate

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:00:32 »
Many thanks for the reply.

I've spoken to the my mate who says he's already checked the turbo and all seems to be OK but he'll have another look at it just to make sure. It is the 2.5 engine and the cam belts (apparently there were two of them...!!!) were changed earlier this year without problems. He has said that when he fitted the replacement EGR valve that some of the bolts were loose suggesting this had already been removed at some point. A full service was carried out not too long ago so the fuel filter should be OK.

The temperature sits as level as it's always done but he has said that starting first thing in the morning can be a pain with a large cloud of black smoke when it fires up. I hope this is of some use to you all.

Mark.
96' Discovery XS TDI with Muds, Lightbar, Snorkel, Guardian Tank Guard, Steering Guard, Wading Kit, Winch Bumper and Winch...!!!! Lift kit next..... :-)

Offline mad geordies

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 15:49:40 »
change the glow plugs for statring in the mornings, but sounds like a blocked injector for lack of power, if he puts his foot down when driving is there lots of black smoke when going along?
if so defo take the turbo off and get it checked,
oh had on if he has taken or changed the egr valve there are two small rubber pipes on the top of the rocker box going to small metal pipes tell him to swap these two pipes over to see if that makes a diffrence
and yes there is two belts one is a balance belt and normally when that goes it gets tangled up in the timing belt and can cause it to knock the timing out which would also cause the problem you have

Offline KingWolf

Attack Member
    • Spalding, Lincs
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 16:03:56 »
I'll pass on your words of wisdom - He has also mentioned that when he accelerates the engine comes on and off the power as if he's lifting his foot off the pedel then putting it back down again...!!!

Mark.

Offline mad geordies

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 20:13:45 »
if the light is coming on thats bad! tell him to look at the rear back box the baffles may have collapsed causeing the engine to choke, tell him to undo the joint just before the back box and take it for a run

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal