AuthorTopic: terrano clicking noise in 2wd  (Read 2109 times)

Offline jamesey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
  • Referrals: 0
terrano clicking noise in 2wd
« on: May 26, 2008, 18:25:56 »
the terrano im looking at has a problem now and wondered if somone can shed some light on it
he says it has a clicking noise that starts after about 2 mins of driving in 2wd , to stop the noise hes put it in 4wd and is just driving it in that it has put me off a bit :undecided: i dont want to start spending money on tranfer boxes or diffs and thing , has anyone had this it could be somthing simple who knows

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Re: terrano clicking noise in 2wd
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 18:50:34 »
The free wheeling hub on the opposite side to the clicking is jammed in the engaged position, might need a new set of brake/clutch rings for it to work properly. The locked hub is causing drag through the diff to the other hub which is attempting to engage but because it is turning 1 way and the shaft the other it can't - hence the clicking.

Had this problem on mine and have diagnosed it for a few people from the symptoms you've descibed, a few of them swore it wasn't that etc but eventually had to concede that it was after they'd wasted time looking elsewhere.

Easy to check if hubs are dissengaging. Reverse up in 2wd say 10-20ft so the should be dissengaged Jack up one wheel turn it and watch to see if the shaft rotates. repeat (including the reversing) for the other side.

Some people just fit manual hubs which are about £55 each, others buy new rings from dealers £40 car set IIRC, I bought set of 2nd hand hubs from scrapper and made up 1 good set of hubfrom what I had.

BTW - do not drive in 4wd on anything but loose or slippy surfaces, transmission damage can occur.

Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 20:16:47 »
thanks i hope it is that , it will still be worth buying if it is that , its a 2.7 tdi se terrano 2 1997 p reg with 130000 miles on it , the guy want £900 for it , do you think that is a bargain , its just this problem i was worried about knowing it will be this has given me a positive atitude  , thanks :dance:

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 21:14:11 »
Is it a 2.7tdi or a 2.7td? Intercooler scoop on bonnet or not? Sounds good money for it anyway. Check cills rfor rust towards rear and rear seat belt mount point (lift rear seats. Als look for leak/seep from water pump, whine from gearbox in 4th/5th
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 23:56:52 »
scoop on the bonnet and badges on the back says tdi comes with a private plate on it aswell , happy days :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal