AuthorTopic: Perkins Engine Help  (Read 1847 times)

ben_haynes

Perkins Engine Help
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:40 »
A mate has a 3.3 Perkins Diesel (4208 or 4209 ????), he is trying to fit it in his series 2, the vehicle originally had a 3.1 Perkins (4205), so all the engine mounts were in roughly the right place, the clutch was knackered on the 3.3 so we stuck the cluth from the 3.1, they looked the same, now the cluch wont release and we think the forks on the clutch diaphram are set to deep in the diaphram, is this possible???

if it is where would i get a clutch from for it??

all we know is the engine came out of a tractor!!! dont know what tractor so thought someone might know

Please help

Offline S188

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Perkins Engine Help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 17:45:21 »
If its 3.3 it'll be a 4203 - thats 4 cylinders 203 cubic inches.  Didn't know of a 3.1 version but theres a bigger one around 3.8l that'll kill the gearbox.

They were used in lots of tractors and agri plant so I wouldn't worry too much about what it came out of, you could take your pick.  Your best bet for parts I suspect would be to remove whatever needs replacing and take it somewhere, try a landy place (if its been adapted to use landy parts) or an agricultural mecanic - they should be able to help, probubly more accurate than someones vague memorys of a conversion that might vary.  I know these conversion plates don't go for much now though as they have gone out of fassion.

I'd measure the distance between the flywheel and the point on the clutch where the release bearing sits.  Then check the release bearing sits properly on eather clutch.  If both are simular in those respects I'd have thought it should work, maybe the pedal slave cyl would need a tweek?
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

ben_haynes

Re: Perkins Engine Help
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 19:41:05 »
They were used in lots of tractors and agri plant so I wouldn't worry too much about what it came out of, you could take your pick.  Your best bet for parts I suspect would be to remove whatever needs replacing and take it somewhere, try a landy place (if its been adapted to use landy parts) or an agricultural mecanic - they should be able to help, probubly more accurate than someones vague memorys of a conversion that might vary.

I will try the Agricultural place down the road, tryed the local Landy places and they dont use any clutch parts from a series, the friction plate is completley different from any series one thy got in, our guess is they made the clutch specially for the conversion

I know these conversion plates don't go for much now though as they have gone out of fassion.

we dont need one we have two anyway, we might sell one if anyone wants one

check the release bearing sits properly on eather clutch.  If both are simular in those respects I'd have thought it should work, maybe the pedal slave cyl would need a tweek?

the slave is brand new and worked when we first tryed it when we found the original clutch was knackered,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal