AuthorTopic: Old Faithful electrickery?  (Read 626 times)

Offline R2D2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • "Old Tart" white, new "Jump-Jet" blue one 2xLPG
  • Referrals: 0
Old Faithful electrickery?
« on: May 18, 2008, 20:15:26 »
Hi pepes,

1993 RRC Tdi doesn't start sometimes !! When I get in, turn ignition on, wait for plug warmer light to extinguish turn to start ... nothing.

Has new Battery this week, as far as I know Alternator is putting out charge, Alarm/Immobilisor is functioning as it should on key fob.

Abs pump primes up then goes quiet, the ecu under passenger seat clicks in and out - not sure what this is doing but sometimes when going along with radio on and ecu doing it's checking (in and out) if I brake the radio cuts out for a second or so and comes on when the ecu clicks back out  :shock:  :-k  :-k . It's like there's not enough juice to run the brake lights as well.

Sometimes if I hear the starter solenoid click I keep turning key on/off/on and it will start. Last resort is to leave ignition on for some time until I hear a sort of BURP noise from what seems to be the front passenger footwell and then it will fire up.

Wifey thinks it is the alarm system, (but we don't always alarm it) so I don't, but it is frustrating especially if she's out in it and it miss-behaves 'cos I have to go rescue them.  :x

Anyone make any sense out of all this or had similar issues.  Over to you!  8-[
Rgds  David
:smiley:

Gosh, this water's deep!!! Only comes half-way up that duck.

Offline andyb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Old Faithful electrickery?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:42:51 »
Wifey thinks it is the alarm system, (but we don't always alarm it) so I don't, but it is frustrating especially if she's out in it and it miss-behaves 'cos I have to go rescue them.  :x

I could be the alarm system, starter current would have to go thru the immobiliser system even if not alarmed; however your Discovery is too early for it to be the imfamous 'alarm spider' fault; this affect post-96 two button key fob LR fitted alarms.

I hear a sort of BURP noise from what seems to be the front passenger footwell and then it will fire up.

Front passenger footwell is right by the Tdi starter motor....it certainly sounds to me that you starter motor is at fault. You seemed to have changed/tested everything else  :D

HTH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal