AuthorTopic: 200TDi Timing Problems  (Read 892 times)

Offline MTyrrell

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200TDi Timing Problems
« on: May 15, 2008, 19:46:43 »
I'm having one of those weeks i think.....

I have put a new timing belt on the 200TDi in my 110. Now it's all back together (after lots of problems) it sounds like an old ford fiesta. It drives OK, plenty of power and no more smoke than normal. Just sounds tappety as anything.

It was fine before I did the belt, so I think something must be out on the timing. The problem is there are no timing marks on the either the injector pump or cam timing gears. Does anyone have any advice as to how to check if the timing is correct without these marks.

This is typical as I’m supposed to be going away Friday night in it. Must have been a really bad person in a past life I think…….. 
Regards
Matthew

www.cbpsystems.co.uk/(updated: quite often)
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: 200TDi Timing Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:38 »
There is a timing mark on the camshaft sprocket (punch mark), which corresponds with an arrow in the rear timing case.
Replacing a 200TDi Defender timing belt -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285

Les.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:52:56 by Paul »

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 22:38:33 »
Found the punch mark on the sprocket but no arrow on the timing case. My timing belt setup looks slightly different to the one in that link. There is an idler pulley in-between the cam and the crank opposite the tensioner.

I have tried aligning the punch on the cam with the web on the timing case. Everything ran fine but when it got hot after a couple of miles it started producing allot of black smoke and a loud banging from the air intake.
 In the process of fiddling with the timing but haven’t got it right yet.

Somehow think I have bitten off more than I can chew here, took it to a garage who’s mechanics were very helpful telling me what to try but were reluctant to take the work recommending that I try their suggestions first.

Thanks
Matt
Regards
Matthew

<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 21:41:39 »
Sorted!

After much messing about with the timing and getting nowhere I took the rocker cover off this afternoon and the problem was staring straight at me. The adjuster on No1 rocker arm had slackened right off so the exhaust valve wasn’t opening at all.

Also the shim that sits over the end of the valve stem had jumped off in to the rocker case.

Don't know why the adjuster decided to undo it's self though, last time I did the valve clearances was well over a year ago.

It's livelier now too, think the timing may have been a bit out on the old belt.
Regards
Matthew

<p>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal