AuthorTopic: Frontera help needed - odd clutch/transmission issues - vehicle stranded!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Ja1983

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
  • Referrals: 0
dragged in a neighbours frontera today, with an odd problem, he said the clutch has gone, but its a bit strange.....

i suggessted low box and low revs, but he said it wont work....

upon arriving i jumped in, checked high & low, all the gears, but no drive... no signs of biting no smells... as tho the clutch was stuck down..

when underneath the slave cylinder moves with the clutch pedal, the fluid is fine, although he said it went a bit spongy, so i`m thinking air leek (in) or a clutch fork..

But heres the really wierd part -

with the engine running, gears selected or not, clutch down or not hi-low, neutral (all combinations were tried) theres no difference, the stick moves freely if the clutch is up or down, regardless of hi low 2wd, 4wd position
BUT when you try to move the vehicle, it labours against the engine... we tried pushing it (clutch in and out, all variety of gears etc) but it was as though it was trying to turn the engine..

with it running we tried pulling it with the disco... (tried removing rear prop first - no joy, thought to remove spark plugs to relieve the tension on the transmission, but found the holes to be FULL of oil, so though best to avoid removing plugs and filling the cylinders with oil)

whilst been dragged the tyres were screeching and jarring as though it was in gear with the engine off, but it was running......

i`m now thinking there may be an issue with the transmission box....??

any ideas/things worth trying, as its currently sat round the back of our house, ad i dont want the neighbours thinking its mine! :dance:

thanks

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

ben_haynes

the clutch Friction material has dissintergrated or come apart from the Clutch, leaving just the metal plate on the splines and the pressure plate spining with the engine and you loose all drive in any thing,

My disco did the same the Friction material had exploded, it was a mess, shards of material all over the show, it does not smell untill you remove the gear box then you cant get rid of the smell for months

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
possibly, although there is no noise whatso ever that would suggest its even contacting.... will try and slip the gearbox out over the next day or 3.

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Drift

What model/engine is it? sounds like the flywheel has seized

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
whats the latest on frontera
just get muddy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal