AuthorTopic: 200 tdi timing belt  (Read 1256 times)

Offline paranoid android

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 tdi timing belt
« on: May 06, 2008, 21:29:31 »
hey everyone i have a 200tdi defender and my timing belt is needing a change i have been looking around at reliable parts and tools i need and also how long and how hard it is to do, also i have been looking at gear conversions, but as a student really dont think i can afford them, so can anyone help me with a decent company to buy it from, excess tools needed for the job and also really anything i actually need to no to do this, all help is appreciated, thankyou. jo
D90 200tdi
snorkel
265 kl71's
k&N
soon- 2" tuffback/bearmach lift
"anyone who lives within their means is seriously lacking an imagination"

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Re: 200 tdi timing belt
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 22:54:06 »
there's two parts that might cause you problems, one is getting the pulley off the front of the crank shaft, the other is keeping the timing gears all in the same place as you change the belt, get some tipex or paint and mark the gears before taking the old belt off
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline bertie_bas205

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 00:22:43 »
Try Paddocks for the bits, they do complete timing belt kits with the tensioner and idler. An 8mm drill bit will fit into the injector pump pulley if i remember correctly. As said above mark the pulleys with Tipex. not too hard a job ....

bertie.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 21:49:22 »
You might have to fabricate a puller to get the crank damper off, but it's only a thick bar and a couple of M8 coarse thread bolts. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285

Les.

Offline paranoid android

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:12:03 »
thanks guys much appreciated i feel alot more confident about doing it now, thanks again for helping  :D
D90 200tdi
snorkel
265 kl71's
k&N
soon- 2" tuffback/bearmach lift
"anyone who lives within their means is seriously lacking an imagination"

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 21:54:15 »
Just done this job on a 200TDi Discovery 200TDi last weekend. I followed the guide above. The only problem i had was with the injector pump, the gear jumped 1 tooth when removing the old belt, think a 9mm drill bit allowed a bit too much movement. Otherwise it's a straightforward job.

You will need a puller to get the damper off though. I got one of these from machine mart for £18.00 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht270-3-pce-gear-puller-set/path/automotive-hand-tools

When refitting make sure you line up keyway in the torsion dampener with the woodruff key on the crank. I manage to break the Torsion Damper when I did mine, it didn't line up properly with woodruff key on the crank and after tightening the crank bolt to 199 Ft Lb it crushed the end of the woodruff key and put a several big cracks in the damper so it’s all got to come apart again.  :oops:

There should be a TDC timing mark on the damper. Assuming the engine is still at TDC after fitting the belt make sure this timing mark aligns with the web on the timing chest cover.
Regards
Matthew

www.cbpsystems.co.uk/(updated: quite often)
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal