AuthorTopic: Transfer case trouble  (Read 3960 times)

Offline 500bhp

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Transfer case trouble
« on: February 12, 2005, 13:25:12 »
Hi Guys...........Just checked why an oil leak has just appeared on the front output of my 94 Disco's trasfer case. Only to find a large amunt of play on the output flange......it looks like it has had T/Case  work done in the past, is there any chance the nut holding the output flange could have come loose so causing lots of play, I noticed in the manual it should be torqued up to 168 nm so is there any chance of that being the problem. If not is it a box out job to replace the bearing.......or any other ideas.thanks
 :roll:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Transfer case trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 13:48:15 »
Oh, there it is, right.

I've had a similar problem and I'm ignoring it!

You've just lifted the car, right.  Have a look in the RRC forum, near the top.  A guy from Greece is saying that a lot of them start having t-box probs a while after fitting a lift kit.

You're probably aware by now that when you lift the car you get pulsing in the front prop, and transmission rumble.  This will be worse if you've fitted castor correction arms already.

Basically the extra strain on the front prop caused by the pulsing is finding the weaknesses in your transmission, so it's found the play and is now liberally shaking the t-box output as you drive.  I understand that the output bearing is a plain roller, and I have read that the output shaft is one of the wear points of a B-W T-box, which I have.

You can fit a new oil seal for now and think about getting a TD5 front prop or Cardan jointed one from Scorpion (take Tim's advice thou' and go to their supliers) whilst you contemplate the difficulty of stripping the box to overhaul it.  I've put off buying second hand because your'e only delaying the inevitable, unless you find a recon one that's had little use since.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline 500bhp

Attack Member
Transfer case trouble
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 13:52:18 »
No I havent lifted it still as it left the factory in 94, so could it be the flange nut needs torquing up or does that not effect the play in the bearing ????????

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Transfer case trouble
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 13:55:33 »
It won't effect the play in the bearing, it's not a taper roller bearing like your hubs so you cannot adjust the play out of it, however if it's loose (a problem I know you've had recently) that could be the cause of the play, in which case check that the splines are not damaged inside the flange whilst you have it undone.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal