AuthorTopic: Major overheating  (Read 6906 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Major overheating
« on: February 10, 2005, 16:57:01 »
After a day out at my local off road centre, the last run round saw the water temp go up. By the time I crawled back to the car park it was well in the red. When I opened the bonnet all hell was breaking loose.... the rad and expansion tank were vibrating with the boiling water  :shock:

After a little investigation, the rad was found to be totally.... I mean totally..... clogged with mud. You couldn't even see one tiny area of fins! Waited for over an hour for their pressure washer (they run bikes there too who kept jumping the queue) and blasted the worst of it out. A friend kindly followed me home after stopping on route to top up the water (still getting hot and overflowing). The following day I got it into work and ran the hose on it for over an hour to clear all the mud out!

All now seems to be OK but I might change the thermostat anyway. Just in case I've cooked it.

How do you all keep the mud out of the rad? I've never had it quite this bad before. But it was worrying and I wondered if a shield of some sort might be worth considering.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Luke

Major overheating
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 17:19:30 »
I'd be worried that any shield in front of the rad would block the airflow and guarantee overheating.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 17:24:34 »
Go over the top, mount rad in back, long hoses and electric fan. :wink:  :twisted:

You can get the blinds for use in winter to block the front grills which allow for a quicker warming up, but mud would still perculate up from below as well
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 20:53:24 »
I use a piece of non woven  fabric stuff. Don't really know what it is, they make sacks and disposable "tyvek" overalls out of it. I just fasten it on at the back of the grill using the grills fixing screws. Never had an issue with overheating, but then never driven off road at any sort of speed with it on, and it's partially "breathable". Doesn't stop it all but stops the really horrible stuff.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 09:07:00 »
I had the same problem with my Rad. On my way home from a meet one day overheated and I still had 30 odd miles to go. Called the RAC and asked for a flat bed as I thought my head gasket had blown.

Truck arrived, loaded up and sitting in the cab going home the driver asked me what the problem was, I mentioned the head gasket and he just shook hos head, looked in his rear view mirror and there was the radiator, totally clogged up with mud, "its yer rad mate".

Anyhow how to stop ti - I use a for sale board, but to size and fits in nicely behind the winch in front of the grill. Keeps a lot of the mud out and has never overheated with the board in place.

One thing I did find is that you never really get all the mud out of the rad unless youre really lucky and I had to replace the rad in the end :(

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Major overheating
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 23:50:01 »
Are your rads the same size as a RRC?  @cos mine looks fairly clear but the electric fans come on A LOT when off-roading.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 17:44:38 »
I always used to have trouble getting it to run warm enough. I know, amazing for a V8. Now, with the slightest hint of a traffic jam, up goes the temp and the fans have to work overtime to stop it getting all the way into the red.

It developed a misfire a couple of days after the overheating. Nasty thought of blown head gaskets or burnt valves. But checked CR and, although low (170k miles), all cylinders were holding pressure. Changed points and plugs and all was well. It looks like one of the plugs had suffered from the overheating. Phew!
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
major overheating
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 22:07:40 »
i experienced the same problem after a off-roading sesion involving lots of muddy water in the end i had to get some thing called tripel x,which is a solution used for etching concrete floors prior to painting,you should be able to get it from any decent valeting company

apply direct to radiator core leave for 10mins the rinse off with pressure washer.

remember to wear goggles and glove and work in a well ventilated area

good luck kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Major overheating
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 22:22:31 »
Be carfull using a presure washer on a radiator. :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 10:21:33 »
Didn't have a choice at the site. Wouldn't have got more than 200 yards otherwise! But I tend to just use the hose with one of those squirty things (You can tell I'm a keen gardener, can't you?!) on it for the rad. Just takes an age and many attempts to get all the mud out.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline abinitio

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 02:59:05 »
For just the odd use at a pay and play site an old pillow case works well, zip tied to the grill. I use one and the overheating problems are greatly reduced.

Lee
If I wanted a clever answer, I'd have asked a clever person!

1994 Blue 300Tdi 110 CSW
1989 Blue 2.5P 110 CSW
1982 Gold 3.5P Vogue (Currently without MOT)

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Major overheating
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 14:36:04 »
That's the kind of thing I was thinking about. Just a temporary screen. I was wondering if I could come up with something that slots in between the rad and front panel. It could be held in place when the bonnet is shut and just lift out when you lift the bonnet. Only problem is having to lift the bonnet every time.... especially when it is caked in wet mud  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal