AuthorTopic: 200 Tdi - New to me - Wahat should I check?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Dr Strangeglove

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 Tdi - New to me - Wahat should I check?
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:17:08 »
I have just purchased a 200 Tdi Disco (J reg) from a friend.  He had it for 10 years or so on the road and during this time he had it serviced on a regular basis.

For the last three years he has had it parked on a farm where he used it for shooting.  He assures me it starts first time and to prove it he went to the farm and tried it.  As he said it started first turn of the key and this was after being stood for six weeks.

I want to use the Disco as an off-road toy :D so I am not to worried about the welding that needs doing (which I think is considerable!), I do however want to keep it mechanically sound.  I am looking for advice on things I need to check and recommendations on anything it would benefit from - though I don't want to go over the top as I want it really for pay and plays etc.

Then its onto recommendations for alterations/additions so that I can turn it into a budget off roader, but I will put this part on a different post so I can keep them separate.

Thanks for your help.

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Re: 200 Tdi - New to me - Wahat should I check?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:19 »
If you change the filters (fuel and air) and put new oil and filter in it should be good to go.

Check all the other levels like the diff oil, gearbox and Xfer as these often get left out if its not been serviced by somebody who knows Land Rovers.

Keep an eye out for early signs of head gasket failure.
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:44:22 »
Do I need to look into the vehicle service history and change any belts/chain of any kind?
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline python

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 13:47:32 »
i would look into when the timing belt was last done if you can, if you can't i would change it mate.   :)

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 21:19:55 »
Yes change the belt if you are at all unsure.

But one thing to remember is that if the belt does let go all it will do is bend a few push rods and snap a rocker arm or two maybe.

You won't have bent valves and the vehicle can be repaired and up and running quite easily.

1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 00:51:37 »
Basically a B8888y good service, new oils all over, filters etc etc plus of course the belt if it's needed.

Check the tyres are't trashed after standing, they don't like it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal