AuthorTopic: RRC 83 with LT230 Transfer Gearbox and Chrysler 3sp Auto  (Read 5452 times)

originalracingsnake

RRC 83 with LT230 Transfer Gearbox and Chrysler 3sp Auto
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:48:52 »
I'm having issues getting the thing to go from HR to neutral, and to LR. It just will not budge at all. I've tried everyhting from inside the car, and in desperation, have booked 2 hours of w/shop time at Devon 4x4 to get it investigated.

Can anyone out there help me before I take it down there?
Has anyone ever had this problem? It feels as though the lever is welded solid, though it shifts smoothly into, and out of DIFFLOCK in HR.

I know the car runs in LR, as the chap I bought it from, www.churchill4x4.com, got it stuck in LR, and had to drive it to the MOT like that. He then used quite some force getting it back to HR, enough to destroy the plastic bush on the lever, and pop the circlip off it. I have replaced the bush, but cannot get the circlip back on, though the bush can be held in place by hand when selecting the DIFF LOCK. Not idseal though having a car that is short of the LR function. Jonathan Churchill is the guy who sol it to me, and is treasurer of one of the Midlands off road clubs, so I doubt he sold me this car with a terminal issue, especailly as his Dad makes a living from reconditioning LR/RR/Discos.

I'd appreciate your help and comments.

Best,

Jim

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:53:20 »
It is probably a linkage issue, either with the levers themselves or with the internal selectors of the box.

A clean up of the external linkages and a dose of WD40 will show you if they are the issue... if it is internal, it will take a little more sorting.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

originalracingsnake

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 10:16:20 »
Many thanks, that is pretty much what the guy at Devon 4x4 told me. It seems this car has not done much off roading, and that lack of use could be the issue here. I'll submit a full report on Fri night, or over the weekend, to let you all know what the diagnosis is/was.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 18:03:38 »
My Discovery auto wouldn't go into low box unless
the main box was took out of drive and put into neutral...

It then would go in low box, You then put the main box back into drive.
Paul Wright

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 18:34:56 »
er, yes... that's a very good point actually Paul.

Auto box needs to be in Neutral else there is tension in the drivetrain.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline LOFTY

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 19:58:44 »
My Jeep has to be in park, or the gears grate like hell.
85% OF ALL LAND ROVERS BUILT, ARE STILL ON THE ROAD,
THE OTHER 15% MADE IT HOME ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal