AuthorTopic: SECURITY  (Read 2682 times)

Offline boogieman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SECURITY
« on: April 09, 2008, 18:25:22 »
Hi ............. been a bit worried lately reading the stories about stolen Landys  :roll:

Mine's got an alarm/immobiliser but I'm thinking of adding a Centinel Clutch Claw - does anyone use one ? Any feedback ? What about price ?

Thanks .................  :smiley:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: SECURITY
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 20:27:33 »
Hi ............. been a bit worried lately reading the stories about stolen Landys  :roll:

Mine's got an alarm/immobiliser but I'm thinking of adding a Centinel Clutch Claw - does anyone use one ? Any feedback ? What about price ?

Thanks .................  :smiley:
I can drive without clutch or brake, its enough to limp to a save distance in a quite area to rip a landie apart. A lot horror stories of professional landrover theft seem to include low loaders which there is not much defense against.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 21:04:09 »
Im ok then because theres no way anyone will get a low loader up my road.

Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 00:23:42 »
DISCLOC and leave the wheel turned to one side, bloody hard to tow onto a transporter then.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 14:45:53 »
I use a Centinal "Clutch Claw", but I also bought a Centinal security post:-
When my motor is parked on the drive, I reverse it up to the garage door & the post fits about 3 inchs from the front bumper. This should prevent the vehicle from being moved, either driven away or more commonly dragged, towed or low-loaded away.
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 17:57:02 »
securi-pole eh? I wonder if it would push it over if you tried?

as for them disc locks arent they easy to remove if you know how? it was ages ago but i watched a thing on TV about it. If you really wanted its only 1 ball joint away from getting the wheels straight and if you are already backing a truck up then thats not a great deal more effort.

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 19:03:42 »
No you can't, I've "tried" twice now.  The probelm with them is when you forget they are there.  Ask me how I know :oops:
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 19:06:13 »
cool, not with only a 3 inch run up anyway. must be able to have a good go in low 1st though!

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 19:17:39 »
Well me LSE was almost touching the post and now I have a nice round dent in the plastic bumper.  Julie's TDi was over a foot away and I managed to get thre thing stuck on top of the post, I left it and went out in another car-these things always happen when you're rushing about.

My mate over the road has one and he drove into it full steam, folded the bumper in 2.  I've lost count of the number of cars he's hit it with now.

Offline boogieman

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 19:20:49 »
 :smiley:

Any more ideas ?

What's the best security device (barring a 24 hr security guard with a gun  :lol: )

The security post's a non-starter for me as I'm living in a rented property with a common parking area.

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 20:26:34 »
MECK LOCK

www.mudstuff.co.uk

your welcome  ;) :P
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 20:45:47 »
just get a dog, mine goes nuts if she hears any thing. caught some1 trying to pinch mine whilst i was looking after the dog for my parents whilst at uni, unfortunatly for him i hadnt got round to fitting my new suspension, and he ended up with an extended shock around his head.

had my tyres slashed a week latter once i gave the dog back  :clap:
should have hit him harder imo
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 20:52:23 »
as does mine. but still, i would rather not only rely on a dog andy!
TDi90

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 21:00:05 »
This same thread has been running on one of the other foums recently with similar replies.
Put it like this, at the end of the day someone will take the vehicle if they really want to (lifting the vehicle onto a flatbed is easier than you might think) so all you can do is slow them down or make them move onto another poor victim.
I use several types of security and I am afraid I can't be bothered to go into all that again but in reply to the specific questions already raised I can answer two quite quickly.

Clucth Claw.
Been using it for several years now and I really like it, it is compact, fitted without the need for a key and would take several separate cuts with an angle-grinder to remove it and while they are doing that they are making a lot of noise.

Centinal C1 security post.
Top piece of kit and if correctly fitted it will stop almost anything getting past (if the base isn't fitted correctly then it will not do the job it was intended to). Not only is it made of heavy guage steel but the way it is designed puts a corner of the box-section against the vehicle which gives it far greater strength than if a flat edge was facing it. Several of the garages around here (including my BMW dealership) use it so that must speak volumes?
My father has managed to drive into his twice now causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the vehicle but the post has barely suffered chipped paint (from standing start to impact was about 18-inches).
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 22:04:34 »
Centinel have a website: http://www.centinel.org.uk/
For anyone doubting the strength of a C1 security post, just take a look at the photo on the top right of their homepage (joyrider at 20mph  :doh: )
Other things to look at are battery isolation devices, handbrake locks, alarms etc. All to make them think again about stealing your pride & joy.
I think any type of security can be overcome with time & effort, but I believe in making things as hard as possible for the thieving scrotes.
Paul.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 23:23:51 »
Oddty enough MC stickers everywhere make it harder to dispose of the bits on a stolen car, so don't be anonymous.

I have a gravel drive, you can't wlak on it solently and you can't use a jack.

I have alarms and imobilisers plus mechanical locks and stuff, posts in the floor and 2 dogs.

As long as someone else's car is easier to nick, mine should be ok and that's the best you can hope for.

Oh yeas, I can recomend a wheel clamp and if you can park away form the road even better, that way it can't be winched or lifted away.

littlepow

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 12:19:43 »
Sounds a bit daft, but make any security as visable as possible. The more hard work it looks to take, the more chance the one down the road will go instead.

An idea I looked at was to use a motorbike ground anchor point and chain the vehicle yo it via the front and rear axles. Then they will struggle to lift it, just would be a pian to fit every night.

Or with a slight mod, this could be used with the jacking points.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 13:44:47 »
That thing makes sense for bikes but I reckon it would end up damaging the bike.  Ifr you park behind a post then it's going to take a big hi-ab to lift 2 tonnes over it end-on, you'd notice that outside your house at 4.30 am.

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 19:42:18 »
An idea I looked at was to use a motorbike ground anchor point and chain the vehicle yo it via the front and rear axles. Then they will struggle to lift it, just would be a pain to fit every night.

I must admit that I had considered this option, but decided against it as the last thing you want to be doing in the pouring rain is crawling underneath your motor to secure or remove the chain. Any security device needs to be easy to use or you won't use it.
Paul.

Offline boogieman

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 21:35:46 »
Thanks everyone for your input to this topic - it makes for interesting reading  :clap:

I subscribe to the 'make yours as difficult to nick as possible so they go up the road & try for an easier one' train of thought - we all know if they want it they'll almost certainly get it in the end  :roll:

Any other devious anti-theft tricks you use ?

Is the hidden switch a good idea ?

What if you forget where you hid it ?  :lol: ;)  :smiley:

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 21:49:52 »

What if you forget where you hid it ?  :lol: ;)  :smiley:

then your a muppet  :lol: ;)
TDi90

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 22:32:47 »
Years ago a mate of mine had an Astre GTE, he got sick of putting new locks in it and ended up selling it.

One night it was taken from his drive, the broke in, defeated his alarm/imobiliser and all the security, then pushed it off the drive and tried to bump start it in the road.

That's where he found it in the morning, after all the security had been defeated a £1.50 switch up the back of the dashboard was all that stopped his car being nicked.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 07:52:59 »
must say got steering lock on mine plues mobbliser and a fuel cut off switch hidden away plus what i normal do is hit the fuel cut off button and let the fuel run out then switch off and flick it to lpg that way it will never start as it need the petrol to start.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 17:41:15 »
sometimes its better for it to start and then cut out, im guessing thieves will bank on the fact that if you wake up hearing it start then by then they have driven off but if it starts then stops they might panic and leave it thinking someone may have been alerted.

even if it runs for a minuit or so its easy to collect it from down the road.

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 02:01:58 »
My thoughts exactly.  Range Rover classic air suspension time delay relay anybody ;)

It would be easy enough to have the fuel cut of solenoid run for 30 seconds then cut out, use a time delay relay and a switch in parallel, so that the switch is your security, the time relay defeats it for long enough for you truck to start and make an unholly racket, then it cuts out again.

If you have a V8, be a swine and put a switch in the hot-wire meter, mine won't always run very well without it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal