AuthorTopic: Winches PTO's and Over Drives  (Read 984 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winches PTO's and Over Drives
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:05:56 »
Admittedly my landy is in bits, but I am still buying more bits to go on the pile (when they come up Cheap!)

The "Theme" for my landy is the "Ultimate Small Holder Vehicle" so its a LWB with a Drop Side rear so I can lug stuff (like chicken coups/fence posts etc) back from farm auctions. I have a 250kg Swing lift for the back and also want;

Rear PTO: So I can run a topper, chipper, slurry pump etc
Front Winch: Poss for recovery, but also for loggs or pulling old cars or stuck ride on mowers I keep crashing into the ditch!
OverDrive: I already have one on the greabox thats going in and we have already tallked about to OD or not OD and it sound like ill keep it.

I have a e-bay bid on a PTO winch thats looking cheap (the thing about cornwall is some stuff goes for loads and other stuff for pence due to the distance).

Can I run a FRONT PTO winch with an OD as well (I think yes)
Can I run a REAR PTO with an OD (I think NO)

I suppose I could use it as an excuse to buy myself an old tractor as well though...... but um land is a bit hilly so Im scared of rolling it.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
Re: Winches PTO's and Over Drives
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 13:01:12 »
The front capstain winchs are driven off a dog on the crank pulley.  Rear Ptos go where the overdrive goes on teh back of the mainshaft. So you can't have both.  Though I did hear of someone trying to modify an o/d so they could mount a pto on teh back of it.  don't know if the they managed it or not though.

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 14:46:29 »
Sounds like what you need is a bottem PTO!  They replace the bottem plate of the transfer box and provide an extra rear PTO, so you could leave the OD in the normal PTO place and run the rear mounted gear off the lower ones.

They were most commonly used on vehicles needing to drive kit underneath the middle of the vehicle, or ones with a front mounted drum winch aswell as rear PTO as unlike the fariey capstan winches, drum winches were hydrolic or shaft driven from the gearbox (shaft runs between the chassis rail and the engine on the left hand side).

Down sides, they reduice ground clearance, and perhaps because of that, and the fact few people needed them, means they are pritty rare.  If your lucky enough to find one you could give it a go, but I think your best bet is to ditch the overdrive - if your planning on using it as a local hack at speeds under 40mph you won't really need one.  Doing 50 without an OD is only really uncomfortable in a diesel for sustained pereods. 
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 15:01:25 »
Another method may be two hydraulic winches, one pto to run an hydraulic winch on the front, then plumb the second winch for the rear into the system and fit some switch over valves to change from front to rear

Of course the only problem you have is that the pumps normally run on the pto unit too, so using it would negate the use of the rear drive shafting for other purposes
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 15:03:03 by hobbit »
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal