AuthorTopic: disco redesign  (Read 47394 times)

Offline boss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
  • Referrals: 0
Re: disco redesign
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2008, 20:49:08 »
mach 5s break...or so I'm told. they also expensive! also something that might be worth mentioning is that steel wheels are a hell of allot lighter than alloys it is also easeyer to put beadlock rings on them. some guy is doing them 100 quid for 5 i think on the D44 forum but don't ask me who. just a point i think worth mentioning as your disco looks to be getting Farley heavy now.

not doubting what people are saying about the air filter but i don't know, i am totally lost. i didn't think you had done anything to the induction system apart form the hi clone. i don't see any reason for not putting a k&n or something similar in there. you NEED an air filter and even if you got the pipes all bunged up with something else it is better to have a performance filter than a genuine one that will restrict the airflow....just a thought as i say i may be missing something.

all in all though Steve you seem to be taking all this a little far. it isn't the most modded disco that i have seen on the roadbut like what has been said above it looks like you want a boy racer mobile and a mud pluggin beast....the two do not go hand in hand. realistically i would look at other SENCIBLE motors as a daily drive then [!Expletive Deleted!] about with 60mm body lifts and 40MM spacers.....don't know where you got the extra 10mm from but whatever.

again just me thinking out loud, not telling you what to do or anything.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2008, 20:54:32 »
hmmm i see what you have done steve, you have the snorkel blowing "cold air" on to the filter but unfortunatley i am in full agreement, there is no point in doing that, UNLESS you have some flexi pipe that takes the place of the filter when you go offroad and you drop a filter in the snorkel.

if you want a 300tdi air box i have one your welcome to have, that may solve some issues but i cant see much point in what you have done.

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2008, 21:01:46 »
im confused now. what has he done?

steering wheel is finally on  :D :D :D :D and cold air pipe in place

If you look at this, he has no airbox and just a K&N filter fitted. The question is how does he plan of fitting a snorkel to this? As you know a snorkel needs to be sealed to protect the engine! without the airbox and the snorkel connected to it and sealed its useless!

ah crazymac i see ur point now. i moved the coil at the weekend  so going on range rover blues idea from a few months ago by using a 300tdi air with the cone filter and hi clone thing aswell . the join between the pluem chamber and afm inst ideal for deep water . so a case of a 300tdi air box silcon hoses and thats about it

thanks for the offer boss , but im bidding on one at the moment  :'( :D well last night to be truthful :?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 21:04:32 by david p »

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2008, 21:06:36 »
...why you bidding? im offering you one for free  :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Re: disco revamp project
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2008, 21:17:43 »
im toying with the idea of mach 5 wheels or wolfrace with big brakes and seal covered red caliper, 40mm wheel spacers

You shouldn't need spacers with Mach5's, just tell them the offset you need when you order them and they will be made with that offset.
No point in paying out all that money for wheels that need something extra to make them fit your needs.  ;)

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2008, 21:18:07 »
60mm body spacers or off ebay 50 odd quid and 40 mm wheel spacer where from rakeline suppies or something lost link  :?

the whole boy racer thing i dont understand really , ok skid pan at whaddon for a laugh does that count  :roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa9yOIA02s8

but lets face it 2 ton plus but  aint a hot hatch. buy a caynne turbo thing if u must  :lol:.

for me experience of it is way better kinda of ( ricky bobby doing 29 mph after his crash im going flat out baby , yahoo)

slight effect tweeks pushes the buttons for me ( middle age thing, for the 40s yrs on here ). lets face it a disco with no anti roll bars on it after i been creative with it i wouldnt wanna drive it cause it would simply be on its roof

nobody plz add video of me at the last whaddon in early september it will make me look even more nuts at time when having a laugh
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 21:29:58 by david p »

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

Re: disco revamp project
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2008, 21:20:05 »
im toying with the idea of mach 5 wheels or wolfrace with big brakes and seal covered red caliper, 40mm wheel spacers

You shouldn't need spacers with Mach5's, just tell them the offset you need when you order them and they will be made with that offset.
No point in paying out all that money for wheels that need something extra to make them fit your needs.  ;)

doh thank budgie but boss kinda off put us off the freestyle stay i think

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 21:28:27 »
lets face it a disco with no anti roll bars on it after i been creative with it i wouldnt wanna drive it cause it would simply be on its roof

Not if you do your research set up the suspension correctly.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2008, 21:37:06 »
its me driving m8 even a 3 wheel milk float has be on its roof almost once  :lol: last 5 yrs

one ended up with a cracked chassais and 3 other well they werent tested enough in my eyes  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 21:39:52 by david p »

ben_haynes

« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2008, 22:18:29 »
in the defence of it all. a snorkel is a valid investment on a V8, dizzy cap gets splashed, big deal 5 mins with a cloth. water sucked through the air intake bye bye engine.

sorry boss you are mistaken you are a diesel man

a V8 will take ages anything around an hour with WD40 and a cloth before it will run properly, and you dont need to get the spanners out for it either, but you dont neccisarily need a snorkel as petrols know how to compress water better than Diesels do

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2008, 22:27:48 »
steve the boy racer thing comes from you bolting crap to the disco...."all sohow and no go" as it were

ben, you are correct, i am a diesel man i have next to no experiance with v8s which is why the next project is looking a little daunting :-$

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2008, 22:37:41 »
all this v8s in water wont run has never once been a problem for me apart from a flooded headlight and indictor once or twice but thats it

Dr Evil

« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2008, 23:13:33 »
Yawn.  :doh: :->

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2008, 23:13:47 »

ben_haynes

« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2008, 00:42:33 »
all this v8s in water wont run has never once been a problem for me apart from a flooded headlight and indictor once or twice but thats it

most of that is bow wave but if it was any deeper it would conk out i myself have taken my V8 through the local play site lake with out a problem but the lake wasnt the deepest it could have been but was deep enough

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1ENfzJgh8

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2008, 16:00:32 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iquLiMZhC2o

farley quarry

What was that? Was it a mobile phone recording of a video on the TV?? No sound so it could be a diesel and y bath is deeper than that anyway! 
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2008, 18:47:12 »
correct mate , is there any video scart to usb converter thing to update format to mp4 or avi
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 20:18:16 by david p »

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2008, 20:43:26 »
steve the boy racer thing comes from you bolting crap to the disco...."all sohow and no go" as it were

ben, you are correct, i am a diesel man i have next to no experiance with v8s which is why the next project is looking a little daunting :-$

boss this might tempt u for a starting block

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-3-5-Janspeed-TURBO-V8-Engine-stiff-block-Range_W0QQitemZ180294848864QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180294848864&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ben_haynes

« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2008, 21:20:29 »

boss this might tempt u for a starting block

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-3-5-Janspeed-TURBO-V8-Engine-stiff-block-Range_W0QQitemZ180294848864QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180294848864&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

he is building an off roader not a racing car why the [!Expletive Deleted!] does he need to go over 110MPH as the bloke states

i wouldnt use that engine knowing it has been thrashed to over 110MPH

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2008, 21:59:18 »
Surely it wants tweeking to give the maximum torque at minimum RPM rather than high HP at high revs? Once again you do seem to confuse an offroader with a chav-tastic or track machine.

Have you bothered to plumb in your snorkel yet?

What else have you done to waterproof the engine, or have you discovered the mysterious 8 fingered glove?
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2008, 22:12:18 »
ooops i thinking big monster truck boss mite build  :evil: no chris still waitting for air box to finish m8

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2008, 22:20:04 »
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :rolleyes:
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2008, 22:20:51 »
Surely it wants tweeking to give the maximum torque at minimum RPM rather than high HP at high revs? Once again you do seem to confuse an offroader with a chav-tastic or track machine.

Have you bothered to plumb in your snorkel yet?

What else have you done to waterproof the engine, or have you discovered the mysterious 8 fingered glove?

bit of wd40 spary now and again thats about it . i did consider having a high mounted exhuast but cant seem to get it to look something like

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2008, 22:24:15 »
damm forgot i did kill the alternator once , is this a problem for everyone

ben_haynes

« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2008, 00:48:58 »
Yes i have killed a few, but then the Batterys were Fubar'd though which caused the alt to fail, not because i had to much [!Expletive Deleted!] from halfords on it though

i did consider having a high mounted exhuast but cant seem to get it to look something like

what use will this be if it still cuts out in the middle of a lake??? because it dont have any waterproofing or a snorkel????

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #235 on: October 04, 2008, 01:26:54 »

i did consider having a high mounted exhuast but cant seem to get it to look something like

what use will this be if it still cuts out in the middle of a lake??? because it dont have any waterproofing or a snorkel????
[/quote]

after snorkels done ben  ;)

ben_haynes

« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:59 »

after snorkels done ben  ;)
[/quote]

thats all well and good but with no Waterpoofing it will cut out in water, WD40 only works to a certain point and water gets inside the dizzy cap even if you do spray WD inside, trust me i done it plenty of times

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #237 on: October 04, 2008, 11:00:06 »
A thick spear of Silicone Grease around the base of the dizzy cap will stop any water getting in there and Holts Damp Start sprayed over the leads also help, especially if you lift the boots spray and put the boots back into position before the Damp Starts has dried.  :D

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #238 on: October 04, 2008, 18:14:45 »
brakes sorted  :D

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2008, 19:11:44 »
Is the rear winch plan to recover yourself when you get bogged down due to all the extra weight?
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal