AuthorTopic: disco redesign  (Read 46463 times)

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
  • Referrals: 0
Re: disco redesign
« Reply #270 on: October 08, 2008, 22:33:55 »
just chop it up steve! buy a diesel disco or something and chop that one up!

[!Expletive Deleted!] that

weigh it in, should get £400 for it with all that crap on it  :lol: :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2008, 13:21:38 »
 :help:

Seriously though I think I know why I have gone off disco's :), it's because I want to hang around with the defender lot instead. I do miss the comfort though, but it's a small price to pay.

Best of luck lads.
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2008, 19:03:39 »
wrong wrong  :roll: bonnet plan pod is small video cam for gr8 on board for off roading video linked upto to a hard drive  =; :clap:

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2008, 19:18:59 »
...what? that makes no sence

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2008, 19:41:15 »
kinda off like this boss. front mounted for   and planning rear and side mounted. no more useless cam phone clips and all hands free  :-k as for the mud on them covers and washer jets

also eye on winch drum if mounted in right place when on ur own with no recover crew on hand  :-k
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 19:43:24 by david p »

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #275 on: October 09, 2008, 19:53:56 »
your planning on putting cameras on it?

www.artoffroad.com

Offline peasey

Attack Member
« Reply #276 on: October 09, 2008, 20:00:16 »
oh another idea that will never happen then!wont the escaping heat from your engine bay mist the lense especially when you go through a puddle,I thought this thread was about re designing your discovery not bolting stuff onto it or am I getting confused here,mate i started to get some respect for you after i saw some of your posts and some of your fabrication but thats fading fast,sorry to be blunt mate but we all have mad ideas we just dont all post them up. :rolleyes:
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #277 on: October 09, 2008, 20:01:04 »
Wow. More useless tat.

I keep thinking I should stop reading this thread but unfortunately it makes me laugh too much.

I agree with Xtremeteam- Take the electronics off and sell them, that should get you a fiver or so........then...........Weight it in, get a saxo- they do lovely custom bonnets for them, maybe you could put a 'TVR' V8 in that too.
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #278 on: October 09, 2008, 20:12:32 »
steve, look at the trucks that are further north on the challange leader bords they dont havea any of this crap.
if you just waited and saved your money you could buy those ARBs you were on about or a diecent winch. you have been coping fine with out bonnet vents, cameras and other stuff....so do you really need it now?

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #279 on: October 09, 2008, 20:42:58 »
note one: this is may ever day car  :shock: . challenger stuff is a mot  failer , drive it like u stole it , i will have to post some m8s trucks up for that they aint like mine besides i fancy a hybrid off roader for that
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 20:55:35 by david p »

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #280 on: October 09, 2008, 21:06:21 »
rite a few querry,

bushcables are damm dangerous if they snap in my eyes so wheres a plasma form on the market  :-k

whats the risk of exhaust pipes explodeing in half  by fuel and lpg if there to close ( hence why quad pipes are on hold after the  middle box did )

arbs what for  :roll: the running gear is a bit over loaded already how long b4 a half would breaks with them in

besides over safety is never a bad thing is it . next time im on a course you might be alittle  :shock: shocked at how slow and steady i am with it . unlike some crazy nutters at fundays

Dr Evil

« Reply #281 on: October 09, 2008, 22:01:04 »
And again. Yawn.

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #282 on: October 09, 2008, 22:44:41 »
Remember Buckaroo .....

I think Dave p that there will come a point when you add just one more accessory and BUCKAROO the car will flip forward shooting disco bits all over the place :lol:

I think the point people are trying to make is what do you want the car for ???

overland trips
laning
quarry bashing
challenge
comp
driving to work in bad weather
towing boats
nas car
monster truck
posing down the town

decide that first before spending on stuff you'll end up throwing away...then stick with it ... maybe even choose two but more than this you will end up with an art car and thats sad...all mods are done to reach a goal but if you don't know what that goal is you'll end up going in circles
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #283 on: October 09, 2008, 22:46:29 »
....you know i cant be botherd any more. i did write aload of stuff that might have helped you but you wont take it onboard, so why should i bother!
if you look through this thread lots of people have offerd you friendley advice(myself included) and you pay no notice instead you come out with stuped ideas about cameras and bonnet vents.

"challenger stuff is a mot  failer "
that is a load of rubbish!

"bushcables are damm dangerous if they snap in my eyes so wheres a plasma form on the market"
what the hell does this have to do with anything?!

you ask questions about things and then you go off on a tangent. make your bloody mind up!
and when you next post read it through and make sure you express your point well enough for others to understand!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 16:19:07 by Frankie-Boy »

www.artoffroad.com

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2008, 22:49:04 »
you ask questions about things and then you go off on a tangent. make your bloody mind up!
and when you next post read it through and makesure you express your point well enough for others to understand!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

but you forgot to say use the spell check too ;)

boss Pm sent
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #285 on: October 09, 2008, 23:45:53 »
Why on earth do you want to put a camera in a light pod? It'll get covered in mud and quite possibly drowned, quite apart from the risk of a stone being flicked into it on road.

I found a cheap, simple and effective way to mount a standard video camera on a 300TDI that should be adaptable. I just took a standard smallish tripod and a bungee cord. The tripod sits in the cubby on the passenger side with one leg poking through the gap below the grab handle. That holds it steady, and the bungee stops it bouncing out. Then you just bolt the camera on, point it ahead, and push "record" on the remote when you get to an interesting bit. Reflection can be a problem but it recorded this perfectly well:

http://www.youtube.com/v/51sRz9QMNZI&hl=en&fs=1
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #286 on: October 10, 2008, 00:37:08 »
The running gear is only overloaded because of all the tat you have on the truck. if you want to go easy on the running gear loose it all and do a boss and trayback/bob it.

There are loads of challenge trucks that are MOTd (Xtreme team& the man formerly known as trayback dan come to mind straight away)

If your going to build a 'hybrid' offroader, just get on with it, unless by hybrid you mean a discovery combined with the 'ripspeed' stand at halfrauds which seems to be your current route?!

AS Boss said- you come up with all kinds of ideas, few of which are of any practical use, even fewer or which ever come to fruition.

AS for 'its a daily drive'- what use are cameras? On or off road?

Your exhaust "exploding", is it because you had a knakered silencer, or some crap cheapo cherry bomb that the baffles ripped out of?

Does your winch cable scare you when thats under tension too? Having winched numerous vehicles out, I would say that a 2 tonne plus pull, even with protector on the cable/rope is likely to be a hell of a lot more dangerous if it does snap- but to be fair if you only have a winch to say yo have one then who cares!? If you think bush wires are dangerous DONT FIT THEM- use some bloody washing line instead if it makes you happy- Realistically are you planning to drive your disco through any woodlands? If you are maybe you ought to loose the roofrack?!

Heres a friendly piece of advice.....Engage the cauliflower before typing, them maybe you wont spout rubbish AND maybe your posts will read coherently.

'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2008, 00:47:36 »
Why on earth do you want to put a camera in a light pod? It'll get covered in mud and quite possibly drowned, quite apart from the risk of a stone being flicked into it on road.

I found a cheap, simple and effective way to mount a standard video camera on a 300TDI that should be adaptable. I just took a standard smallish tripod and a bungee cord. The tripod sits in the cubby on the passenger side with one leg poking through the gap below the grab handle. That holds it steady, and the bungee stops it bouncing out. Then you just bolt the camera on, point it ahead, and push "record" on the remote when you get to an interesting bit. Reflection can be a problem but it recorded this perfectly well:

http://www.youtube.com/v/51sRz9QMNZI&hl=en&fs=1

nice to see someone steady offroad instead of tear assing everywhere :clap:

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2008, 13:12:48 »
Ha! Thanks  :D

The footage was taken in the Radnor Forest (normally off-limits) during last year's Powys 4x4 Response training weekend. We hire the land from the Forestry Commission and spend a weekend trundling around, it has a good mix of newbie-friendly and more interesting routes.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2008, 17:27:10 »
Remember Buckaroo .....

I think Dave p that there will come a point when you add just one more accessory and BUCKAROO the car will flip forward shooting disco bits all over the place :lol:

I think the point people are trying to make is what do you want the car for ???

decide that first before spending on stuff you'll end up throwing away...then stick with it ... maybe even choose two but more than this you will end up with an art car and thats sad...all mods are done to reach a goal but if you don't know what that goal is you'll end up going in circles

okay answers

overland trips: yes in the future maybe 

laning: light green laning

quarry bashing: yep been on fundays there i e devils pit

challenge:  [-o< have more respect for it now so less so

comp: rtv and ftv looking into  ;)

driving to work in bad weather:yep its floods here quite often and fog and snow

towing boats: towing cars , vans ,carvans and lgv once when they break down so yes

nas car: sound of them thats about it

monster truck: more general interest but missus is crazy about them

posing down the town: often asked where bits are from and mpg that and the sound it makes  8-[

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2008, 18:01:00 »

towing boats: towing cars , vans ,carvans

[/quote]

can you on your licence?????

if your 24 and if you passed your test at 17 so that would be 7 years ago and it 2008 now so you passed 2000/2001, laws changed 1 January 1997?????????

may be wrong but got to ask!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2008, 18:04:33 »
The running gear is only overloaded because of all the tat you have on the truck. if you want to go easy on the running gear loose it all and do a boss and trayback/bob it.

There are loads of challenge trucks that are MOTd (Xtreme team& the man formerly known as trayback dan come to mind straight away)

If your going to build a 'hybrid' offroader, just get on with it, unless by hybrid you mean a discovery combined with the 'ripspeed' stand at halfrauds which seems to be your current route?!

AS Boss said- you come up with all kinds of ideas, few of which are of any practical use, even fewer or which ever come to fruition.

AS for 'its a daily drive'- what use are cameras? On or off road?

Your exhaust "exploding", is it because you had a knakered silencer, or some crap cheapo cherry bomb that the baffles ripped out of?

Does your winch cable scare you when thats under tension too? Having winched numerous vehicles out, I would say that a 2 tonne plus pull, even with protector on the cable/rope is likely to be a hell of a lot more dangerous if it does snap- but to be fair if you only have a winch to say yo have one then who cares!? If you think bush wires are dangerous DONT FIT THEM- use some bloody washing line instead if it makes you happy- Realistically are you planning to drive your disco through any woodlands? If you are maybe you ought to loose the roofrack?!

rear camera why ok = well if u look at the boot the amp box inst in there reason being when it was there was not enough room more my liking. so the plan  is to use the dog guard as an upright mounting for it blanking the rear window off.

so  :-. a rear cam in the bumper or roof will enable me to see a full rear view again plus i get more boot space for mowers and other tools . also plan to fit 300tdi mirrors too.

as for challenge truck like extreme 90 and the extremeteam , i seem to recall dan saying 10 grand in the last season unlike most sunday play thing which mostly our sorn specials for like 300 quid a year brake it and get another

as for the idea of trayback or bobtail er well how our gonna get 7 folks and 3 dogs in when you go out to general family avatives

as for that swb shed at the moment well welding and rebuild under subframe is on the list to do first

as for overloaded running gear maybe well a m8 rekons gearbox first.  :roll: ive been expecting that for the last 50,000 miles  :-k

as for winch wire breaking :  :doh: well it needs uprating anyway because it just clicks after doing this to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U15VfBxwCM

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 18:08:00 by david p »

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #292 on: October 10, 2008, 18:11:29 »

towing boats: towing cars , vans ,carvans

can you on your licence?????

if your 24 and if you passed your test at 17 so that would be 7 years ago and it 2008 now so you passed 2000/2001, laws changed 1 January 1997?????????

may be wrong but got to ask!
[/quote]

upto 3.5ton not 7.5 like the older ones

as for the other thing im fine  :-k as far as i know its all gonna change in the next 18months for new drivers

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #293 on: October 10, 2008, 18:22:57 »
Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E

i think you will find that most caravans and boats are over 750kg and vans are!

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #294 on: October 10, 2008, 18:29:22 »
you are full of crap steve! if you havnt passed your test before 1997 you need a towing licance!

and i bet you i have spent far less money on my truck than you have on yours and its alredy 3/4 way to being in standard calss in winch comps so its not just for people with major money.

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #295 on: October 10, 2008, 19:17:21 »

Driving Licences
A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new category B (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.
New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.
Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)
www.dvla.gov.uk
 :|

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #296 on: October 10, 2008, 20:22:33 »
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022564

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

can't find your quote on that link!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #298 on: October 10, 2008, 21:00:50 »
As I understand it (from reading the caravan magazines my parents buy) those of us saddled with a post-97 licence are allowed to drive:

Up to 3500kg with a 750kg trailer

Or

A combined outfit weight of up to 3500kg where the trailer weighs less than the towing vehicle - in the case of my Disco that works out as up to a 1000kg trailer.

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2008, 21:07:47 »
you are full of crap steve! if you havnt passed your test before 1997 you need a towing licance!

i shall second that , im 26 passed my test after 97 and u get [!Expletive Deleted!] all entitelments  , milk floats and tractors is about it
iv since done ,full bike , psv ( busses ) hgv 1+2 ,  so got my car trailer licence from the hgv 1  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal