AuthorTopic: 12v socket  (Read 633 times)

Offline clodhopper

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
12v socket
« on: April 08, 2008, 13:34:41 »
hello everyone, i would like to add at least 1 12v socket in the back of my disco, near the back door. is there a suitable live wire that i can connect it to or should i run a new wire (fused) from the battery.  :huh:
discovery 94 3.9 v8

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
Re: 12v socket
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 13:55:22 »
I've routed a heavy cable from the battery and then take fused feeds from that.

Existing wiring is designed to take a set load, not additional loads - then again, it all depends on what you want to power!
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 14:57:08 »
If you've got a twin socket towing set-up (think caravan charging) then you should have an ignition controled positive in amongst that lot - mine has a charge sensing realy on the inner wing that shunts a feed down to the socket when the battery is being charged I intend to use that to power and inverter that will be hard-wired in eventually, but it could also be used to power a 12V socket with no problems.  I've also put an extra one in the centre console above the ashtray for the rear seats so my daughter can power her gizmos - I just piggy backed it onto the existing on at the front of the console suing some 2 core cable and included its own fuse for safety.
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 18:42:00 »
It really isn't that tricky to add an extra live feed - I routed some suitably hefty cable through the headlining and picked up an earth connection from a stud on the inside of the rear pillar which already had something else earthed to it. This runs an inverter for my car PC installation quite happily.

One tip, when you're messing around tucking wires behind the headlining wear some surgical-type gloves. Fibreglass splinters are maddeningly uncomfortable and take ages to work their way out!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:42:52 »
Probably best to run a wire form the battery for your accessories but there should be a 12volt feed for the trailer sockets in the rear RH corner, probably a female bullit with a red blanking plug unless it has already been used.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal