AuthorTopic: 300 Tdi blowing black smoke & loss of power  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Range Rover Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
  • Referrals: 0
300 Tdi blowing black smoke & loss of power
« on: April 06, 2008, 14:56:01 »
Hello all,
I was coming back from the greenlane working day in the Lake District yesterday and lost power to my 300 tdi,
I suspect the tuurbo.
Black smoke billowing out and struggling to get it up to 50 mph.
It ran reasonable well down the M6 but has had a noticable drop in power lately.

I started it up this moring and a plume of smoke popped out from under the bonnet?

Any idaes?
Thanks in advance,
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 300 Tdi blowing black smoke & loss of power
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 16:14:12 »
I've had a turbo pipe come loose on me and it didn't do that.  Check the turbo intercooler and hoses are not blocked, black smoke means excess fuel and that won't happen unless there is pressure in the pipework at the turbo outlet.

Another alternative is the turbo bearing leaking, check the torbi insides for excessive free play.  Unfortuantelky the engine brether will have coated the insides with black sludge anyway so there is nothing to be seen if the turbo feels tight.

You could also try running briefely with the intercooler hose disconnected, like I say mine didn't smoke it was just gutless.

If there are any other problmes that could be caused by the fuel pump etc I'm not the guy to ask.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 18:54:13 »
Cheers RRB,

I've had a good look around and there appears no obvious fault.
I have a snorkel fitted and I'm now guessing that when I'm on a longish run the flexi pipe could be getting warm enough to collapse,
I have a wire reinforced pipe but it is a bit on the thin side and although the wire should stop it from collapsing, it could collapse in a "domino" type of fashion and close down the air feed to the engine,
This would give me black smoke and a loss of power,
it would also appear to be running rich.

I'm in my mates garage on Saturday and will give the turbo a good test and try and find if there is any other problems with all his professinal testing equipement.

I'm going to change the air feed pipe into mostly solid pipe and see if that changes anything.

Cheers for now,
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 20:36:58 »
It would not hurt to have a look at the flexi pipes; it is possible the inside is delaminating and restricting airflow.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 23:56:08 »
Black smoke is unbrunt fuel, so running rich and black smoke are similar if not the same.

If it were a turbo feed pipe then yes it might cause the problem but TBH masses of black smoke makes me thing that the turbo is generating pressure, this then tell he pump to increase fuleling, but the pressure is not being translated into air flow into the engine :-k

I have a very similar pipe on my snorkel you see and a V8 creates way more vacuum than a Diesle (unless there is a significant fault) and I have no problems with it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:53:34 »
I would go with a pipe on the turbo mine did the same , it was not until i took them off to check that i found a slit about 2 " long that open up when it was running but you could not see it when it was on the motor , it also caused mine to over heat due to it working a lot hard

Simon
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal