AuthorTopic: sammi drive shafts  (Read 715 times)

Offline fuddy-mukker

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Ringwood Hants
  • Referrals: 0
sammi drive shafts
« on: March 26, 2008, 18:48:33 »
Could anyone tell me how you get the drive shafts out of a sammi axle, i need to change the diff to a vit diff for my conversion, ( thats the front axle )
thanks,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 19:23:06 by fuddy-mukker »
Dont follow me, you WILL break something !    

Actually, do follow, you can tow me when i break it

Offline baz2236

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: sammi drive shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 20:02:36 »
take off the wheel undo the little serclip in the middle of the hub
un do the little bolts that hold the front hub on the shaft pull that off
undo the big 50mm but there is a locking washer you may have to bend the tabs back take out the washer then undo the other 50mm nuts there nuts hold you wheel bearing in place if you don't have a 50mm socket a flat screwdriver and a hammer works well.
take of the brake caliper secure it with a bit of string
take  off the disk
behind the disk there is 4 bolts witch are hard to get off there go thru the backing plate once undone the back plate will come off mayeb tap the caliper holder where the bearing sit on.
they you will be left with the end of the drive shaft hanging pull that hard and the whole shaft shoul come out. it might be tight. if it will not come undo the 4 bolts for the king pins 8 in all 4 and the top and 4 underneath an pull the king pins out you should then be able to pull the drive shaft out the the CV joint.

I hope this help and you can make sense of it all print it out and get in front o it and it will become clearer any probs you can give me a call on 07968 428002.

Baz
Thanks,
      Baz

Offline jay_zuk

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 21:55:35 »
take off the wheel undo the little serclip in the middle of the hub
un do the little bolts that hold the front hub on the shaft pull that off
undo the big 50mm but there is a locking washer you may have to bend the tabs back take out the washer then undo the other 50mm nuts there nuts hold you wheel bearing in place if you don't have a 50mm socket a flat screwdriver and a hammer works well.
take of the brake caliper secure it with a bit of string
take  off the disk
behind the disk there is 4 bolts witch are hard to get off there go thru the backing plate once undone the back plate will come off mayeb tap the caliper holder where the bearing sit on.
they you will be left with the end of the drive shaft hanging pull that hard and the whole shaft shoul come out. it might be tight. if it will not come undo the 4 bolts for the king pins 8 in all 4 and the top and 4 underneath an pull the king pins out you should then be able to pull the drive shaft out the the CV joint.

I hope this help and you can make sense of it all print it out and get in front o it and it will become clearer any probs you can give me a call on 07968 428002.

Baz

Baz you shouldnt have to touch the wheel bearing bolts, i dont when i do mine just take the 4 14mm nuts off and pull the hub away.

Offline baz2236

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:24:55 »
Yeah thinking about it I suppose you can just get the disc off and then pull it out the way. I don't really know why I take the bearings out.
Thanks,
      Baz

Offline fuddy-mukker

Attack Member
    • Ringwood Hants
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 19:12:00 »
Cheers Baz,

Much appreciated,
i ended up having a go tonight without seeing your instructions and did exactly what you described and suprise suprise it worked, now for the diff, im having a go at re building the diff so i can get the vit diff in the sammi axle, is this quite straight forward ??

Or will it leave me scratching my head for the rest of eternaty.. :roll:

Cheers,

Chris.
Dont follow me, you WILL break something !    

Actually, do follow, you can tow me when i break it

Offline baz2236

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 20:15:10 »
Hi i did the same sort of thing a while ago here is the thread might help you.

http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php/topic,46004.0.html
Thanks,
      Baz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal