AuthorTopic: Jimny kingpin bearings  (Read 9447 times)

Offline SteveW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Jimny kingpin bearings
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:00:56 »
Just wanted a little help from anyone with a little bit of mechanical knowledge.

I've eliminated a few other problems when it comes to my steering wobble and its still doing it so I'm gonna change the kingpin bearings which should hopefully sort it. I was just wondering how big the job is, how much do you have to strip of the front hubs before you can get to the bearings? Help from anyone who's done the job before would be appreciated as I'm not the most accomplished mechanic.

Also if its not advisable to do the bearings myself let me know and I'll get it in at the garage.

Steve

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Re: Jimny kingpin bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 13:14:39 »
The easy way is to remove the hub/half shaft assembly all in one go - takes about 1/2 hr to take apart.

1/ jack up vehicle and remove wheel.
2/remove break caliper (just un bolt and hang out of way) and disc.
3/disconnect vac pipes
4/undo 4 bolts holding hub assembly on. Gently tap to break seal and pull hub/half shaft assembly out.
5/ undo bolts holding dust seal to back of swivel housing.
6/undo bolts holding king pins in plae and remove. Swivel should come of giving access to bearings.
Reverse to reasemble - making sure everything is clean and freshly greased.

Repeat from other side.
..V..

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 14:13:42 »
Cheers, doesn't sound all that complicated so I'll prob try to get that sorted this weekend if the weather permits me!

Steve.

Offline jims jimny

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 17:36:23 »
not long done mine
and if i can doem anyone can

jim
mods so far  2"procomp suspension  
205/75/15 colway mt
diff breathers
t-case protection plate
snorkel/piper cross filter + loads more

Offline daveford

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 17:41:01 »
Hi SteveW,

Just had my offside one done at K.A.P. Suzuki in Keithley. Cost me £157 in parts and vat. He did a great job and quickly/while I waited. He also uses Timken bearings that are better than the ones supplied be suzuki. Took him about 40 mins.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 22:45:29 »
 "He also uses Timken bearings that are better than the ones supplied be suzuki."  Daren'll tell you anything. Unless they're mud repelant then I don't think it matters what make they are. Considering Suzuki only charge £25 per bearing ( and thats not cheap) £100 for an hours work is a nice profit. Don't get me wrong KAP do some excellent work, I use them quite regularly but doing your own King pin bearings isn't that hard.
..V..

Offline minimog

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 19:50:23 »
go to a local bearing supplier for the kingpin bearing i paid £7.50 each (they are minute so make sure you dont loose them)
the number is (koyo hc30302jr)
WHAT UR ASKED WHEN YOU OWN A MOG
"What the f**ks that"
"where do you take it"
"Why has it got a merc star on it"

Offline SteveW

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 18:20:46 »
Cheers for the advice from everyone but I checked the full range of movement on the front wheels today and found that there was no play in them. Eventually sourced the problem to a slightly buckled front wheel!

Steve.

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 22:42:59 »
Hi Steve - hope thats cured it. But you don't always get plat in the bearing for it to cause wheel wobble. They could be seized, full of mud n crap or notchy and would give you the symtems you described. The only way to check is to lift both wheels clear of the ground, remove the steering link and tie bar so that the wheels are no longer connected. Then move them by hand. If you get resistance but they move smoothly your OK. If they are very tight or the movement feels notchy the bearings are shot. Just trying to find play in the wheel won't prove the condition of the bearing. Anyway as I say hope changing the wheel solved the problem.
..V..

Offline kevan1

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 17:33:13 »
cheers for the help just done them ,It only took three hours to do both sides. the "wobble" has gone . wasn't too difficult.
suzuki jimny special, chrome grill trim and chrome washer jets coz the monkeys at longleat chewed them off!

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 20:46:44 »
No probs............
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 03:11:25 »
Hi SteveW,

Just had my offside one done at K.A.P. Suzuki in Keithley. Cost me £157 in parts and vat. He did a great job and quickly/while I waited. He also uses Timken bearings that are better than the ones supplied be suzuki. Took him about 40 mins.

how much :shock: bloody hell thats expensive id bet it would have been cheaper taking it to the main agents for that moolar ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal