AuthorTopic: Manual sunroof to electric - is it as easy as adding a motor and some power?  (Read 977 times)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Changing a manual sunroof to electric - is it as easy as adding a motor, switches and some power?

Motors about £25 on eblag.
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
The motorised ones are tilt and slide, not lift up like the manual ones......
--
Neil

Attack Member
My manual tilts up then slides back, maybe 6"/8". Are the electric ones different then?
Rob Steele

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
I think thrasher is thinking of the older type on the 200TDi (Also used on Austin Metro's!). The newer 300 type ones have a winder handle and like you say tilt and slide sort of...

I can't say for sure but I would assume that it is likely that you can just swap for electric motors.

1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Attack Member
Gotta be worth a try!
Rob Steele

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
I'm pretty sure that the mechanical and electric sun roofs have the same opening action. Whether, or mot, you can simply replace the hand winder with a motor is another matter though.
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Electric roof has an ECU, limit switches and some other stuff.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Hi

I have a sunroof ECU and I have some of the switches as well. If you want them let me know. Don't want much for them.

Cheers

John
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
The power feed is probably there already - mine has it despite not having either type of sunroof. Pull out the little plastic panel between the sun visors and look for an oval-shaped plug with three holes in.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Hi

I would have thought the biggest issue was the wiring for the ECU.

If the plug is there on all looms then you are laughing but if its not then fitting electric sunroof motors is going to be a ball ache IMHO...

Cheers

John

Attack Member
Hi

I have a sunroof ECU and I have some of the switches as well. If you want them let me know. Don't want much for them.

Cheers

John

Could you PM me the sort of money you are looking for and I'll check for the wiring hidden under the headlining.
Rob Steele

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
You can have them for a £10... Just to make it clear I only have the front console switches I can't find the rear ones at the minute but they may turn up yet...

Attack Member
You can have them for a £10... Just to make it clear I only have the front console switches I can't find the rear ones at the minute but they may turn up yet...

Hi John, Sorry for the delay. I'm going to say no thanks because.........

I've pulled the visors/map pocket thing off and can only find a couple of thin wires - certainly nothing that looks like it could power a sunroof motor.

I've studied the parts manual/wiring diagram and the ECU shoud have 2 big block connectors with 15 wires in total, plus the wiring for the switches and motor. As you said earlier, it's going to be a right royal PITA without the wiring.

Thanks for the offer though.
Rob Steele

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
my sunroofs wont open coz i greased them up which has dislodged some grit which puts preasure on the roof and cuts in the safety switch and stops either roof opening up.

Converting mine to manaul is easy as all it takes is a allen key! Hard work though.

Yes, it is on that huge long to do job list is to work out what has got wedged in the sensor somewhere!  :twisted:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal