AuthorTopic: 300 tdi swap  (Read 915 times)

Offline Rasbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
300 tdi swap
« on: March 13, 2008, 20:24:55 »
hi all, my easter breaks coming up from uni and i'm planning on swapping my busted TD (courtesy of the plains ive now been without for almost a year :( ) to a 300 defender engine.  I'm planning on keeping my LT77 box as on a tight budget and as i understand that i can switch the back plates.

Has anyone done the conversion? What extra bits would i need? Anything i need to reshape with a large hammer :lol:

The engine will have; loom, starter motor, pas pump, fuel filter assembly, rad and intercooler. and all the standard hoses.

Anything I should do whilst its out? Never dealt with Tdi's, so go easy on me :wink:

Cheers
Andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline jimthelandyman

Attack Member
Re: 300 tdi swap
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 20:44:47 »
You will need to chop the engine mounts and move them. If you get a 200 tdi it fits straight into the engine mounts and box.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 23:41:16 »
Do the entire clutch plus release arm and bearing. Rear crank oil seal, will be upset if you don't and it starts leaking. New Timing belt with full kit (pulleys etc) soon after you got engine in, checking for belt wear problems associated with 300tdi (i.e ensure mod has been carried out). 
The startplug circuit is different to the TD's, the 300tdi has a timer relay but you can still use the TD method. I think the bonnet stay will need replacing.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 18:35:27 »
If you get a 200 tdi it fits straight into the engine mounts and box.
Looked down the 200 route but although their nice and easy to fit. I was gonna buy a rotton disco, take the engine and break it, but trying to find a low milage bargain proves difficult. Changed my mind when i found a defender 300 engine with every thing , and 68k for £650. dont think id find a disco with that milage.

New Timing belt with full kit (pulleys etc) soon after you got engine in, checking for belt wear problems associated with 300tdi (i.e ensure mod has been carried out). 
what does this mod look like, it's not much more difficult to change a timing belt on a tdi is it?

good job i got my dad a welder for xmas :D

Thanks guys,

Andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 22:00:18 »

what does this mod look like, it's not much more difficult to change a timing belt on a tdi is it?

Well without the mod and if problem has been present then the timing belt will be reduced in width and you will have A LOT of rubber dust present.
The un-updated gearwheel that is on the crank does not have a shoulder on it.

It unlikely you will find an unmodifed one these days but the replacement engine I bought recently was a very low mileage and it has original unmodified setup still on it!

But its worth getting the full kit anyway as the bearings in the idlers do wear and the LR original parts kit is only about 80 quid anyway.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:17:50 »
cheers saffy, gonna go pick it up tomorrow, got it for 510 quid in the end, not a bad price with every thing that comes with it.

is there any other probs i should be looking for?

thanks andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal