AuthorTopic: classic idle problem  (Read 641 times)

Offline discodee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
classic idle problem
« on: March 11, 2008, 13:14:55 »
Hi all ive got an 87 V8 efi and sometimes there is a problem with it ticking over when its warm its ok when you rev it but at low revs and idle its lumpy and spluttery,I used to have a vauxhall cavalier that the choke stuck on sometimes it feels much the same as that.But being fuel injected it wont have an auto choke any ideas as im not too clued up on fuel injection im ok with carbs ,cheers the noo don

you can kid a fool,but you cant fool a kid

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: classic idle problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 14:44:07 »
Hmmm, 87 is going to be the flapper EFi, not my strong suite.  For cold starts I think it has an extra injector, possibly that's not working/  Other things could be one fo the sensors is faulty, coolant temp sensor for one.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline discodee

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 17:02:11 »
thanks for the fast reply  :D any idea where the sensors are located and how do I check them and and whats the best wayto check the  injectors working is it possible to strip it or easier to get a new one  :huh:

you can kid a fool,but you cant fool a kid

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 17:20:25 »
Injectors are not serviceable AFAIK, and they run from a balast resister pack so the later ones are no use either.

The temp sender, IIRC there are 2 above the thermostat, one for the guage and one for the EFi.

If you want to do a fairly comprehensive check up on the EFi then I suggest the Haynes manual, it has a detialed sectionon testing all the EFi sensors :)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal