AuthorTopic: Diesel v's Petrol  (Read 1956 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Diesel v's Petrol
« on: March 11, 2008, 00:11:04 »
Ok guy's it looks as tho I may be moving further from work and it's costing me more than it would in a taxi as it is  :evil: getting 8 to 10 to the gallon at mo. My question is this. How much better are the rangie diesels on fuel ???
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Diesel v's Petrol
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:42:15 »
TBH, We run a 300TDi and it does about 27 MPG, I've fitted a bigger intercooler and electric fans so if I'm carful it shoul dbe better than average, to be fair I havn't had it on a long run since I did the head/intercooler and I havn't replaced the injectors yet.  My sister has a 300TDi auto and it will do 30mpg if she is careful, and about 21 towing.

I also run Blue on LPG and cost per mile there is little between it and the TDi, you have to watch fuel prices though, 10p/ltre on LPG hits really hard, plus the TDi will happikt take vegitable substitutes.

Thing is, will the cost of swapping to a TDi pay you back in the difference in economy? if not get a noddy car for work.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:08:02 »
I was looking at a 2.5 diesel. I'm finding hard to justify the running cost's when I can pick up a nice 2.5 pajero for £800 and it'll run all day on 100% veg if need be  :evil: Wont tickle the happy gland like the v8 tho  :'(
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:57 »
If you are going to get a 2.5 Paj, make sure you service it really regularly, or get the 2.8 (Still need servicing, but the 2.5s are known for cracking heads) and the difference in MPG between the 2.5 and 2.8 is marginal if any.

Saying that... my 3.5V6 Shoggy did 19mpg, the 2.8TD did ~21 - 22.! I would get the 3.5V6 if I was getting another Paj (and have throught about it, although the LC amazon is more likely for my tow car now)

Just my views of course. there are a lot of okay 2.5s about, but I have heard of a lot of them with head issues.

Offline iomlr

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 13:08:45 »
keep with the v8! i was very tempted to wack a 300tdi in after a couple of recent problems, but now i have the v8 running perfectly i wouldnt change it for the world! beautiful noise, power went i want it, and strong!
Bobtail Range Rover 300tdi Manual
Body lifted, Gywn Lewis Challenge Suspension. Mach 5's with Jungle trekker Tyres ARB Locking Diffs Front and Rear. Steering Guard and Axel / Track Rod Guard. Modified bumpers front and rear Custome Rock sliders. Roccia Comp Arches,  Eleci Fans with X switch.

V8 90 County Defender. Rebuilt with galvanised chassi and bulkhead, Tubular sports manifodls and sports pipe. Old Man Emu suspension, under axel guard. BFGoodrich Muds on Mods.

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 14:54:47 »
 :lol:have the best of both worlds, nice six cylinder diesel in a Rangie, my Nissan Patrol engined beastie will do an easy 30 mpg, sounds well being a six, could be yours very cheap around £1000.00 !
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 14:57:01 »
I was looking at a 2.5 diesel. I'm finding hard to justify the running cost's when I can pick up a nice 2.5 pajero for £800 and it'll run all day on 100% veg if need be  :evil: Wont tickle the happy gland like the v8 tho  :'(

That sort of money gets you a new single point LPG system which could return similar running costs.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline fezzy192

Attack Member
  • THERES NOTHING BETTER IN LIFE THAN THE GREEN OVAL
    • birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 20:18:44 »
stay with the v8 convert to l.p.g i couldnt get rid of the roar for a knock  :lol:

love v8 i get about 11 to the gallon on lpg so works out quite cheap

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 20:36:07 »
Personally I am a big diesel fan (especially large ones) but in this case I would agree with LPG.

Why change if you know the car and know the engine - just make it cheaper to run.

Mind you it will be limited - Gordon will tax LPG to death as soon as enough people are using it.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:40:31 »
What was that in the budget about ending the tax incentives on bio fules? LPG is not a biofuel of course but it won't stay half the price for ever, though it's a waste product of refining petrol (in part) so it will always have to find a market.

the next big thing will be Compressede Natural Gas, my LPG system is already built to take it, though I will need a new tank.

Basically methane AFAIK, yes I can run my car on cow's farts if I can catch them :lol:

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 17:46:24 »
What was that in the budget about ending the tax incentives on bio fuels? LPG is not a biofuel of course but it won't stay half the price for ever, though it's a waste product of refining petrol (in part) so it will always have to find a market.

the next big thing will be Compressede Natural Gas, my LPG system is already built to take it, though I will need a new tank.

Basically methane AFAIK, yes I can run my car on cow's farts if I can catch them :lol:

All true; when you go up the North Sea it's frightening the amount of gas being burnt off from the rigs.
Will that stop Gordon from taxing it? Will it hell.

Don't mention running a car on cow's farts or Gordon will put a tax on Flatulence.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 18:05:45 »

Don't mention running a car on cow's farts or Gordon will put a tax on Flatulence.

Despite the fact that it'd be removing a greenhouse gas :roll:

Not to worry though, have you noticed how chancellors never tax things that will hit themselves? well the amount of bull**** that comes out of westminster, CNG will probably be tax-free :lol:

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 17:44:09 »

Mind you it will be limited - Gordon will tax LPG to death as soon as enough people are using it.

THats exactly what im thinking and the reason i have not converted the rangie.

Look what happened to Diesel !! 
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal