AuthorTopic: More vibrations  (Read 730 times)

Offline zulublue

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
More vibrations
« on: March 10, 2008, 16:42:35 »
A few weeks ago I changed the UJ's on the props as they were knackered, I changed the T-box at the same time, all has been well. Saturday I was pottering about hit the duel carriage way got to about 55MPH and got a vibration which I think is coming from the rear end.
I took it to a friends garage and on quick inspection he said it was the rear wheel bearing (this was without removal of anything) he said you can just see the disk moving, I had a look and the top of the disk moved about 0.5mm under pressure, and when we spun the wheel there was a clonking noise.

Anyway that was that, then yesterday I thought I would have a look myself, I jacked the rear up, handbrake off and in to neutral on the T-box. spun the wheel and got the clanging again, I then went under the motor (yes it was on Axel stands and a jack) and the noise was coming from the shaft in the prop there was about 3-4mm of free play when turning each end opporsite directions to each other.

Would this cause the vibration when driving? I don't know how they look inside to gauge what they do. I thought under pressure it would not move to make the vibration?

I do have a spare prop but dont know if its for the front or back as they seem very similar in length, any pointers please.

Mark.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Re: More vibrations
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 18:44:45 »
is there any movement in the prop up and down on the splines which i assume is what you mean...the sliding joint  :-. :-.
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 21:31:53 »
is there any movement in the prop up and down on the splines which i assume is what you mean...the sliding joint  :-. :-.

Yes the prop slides ok but you can move it 3-4mm whilst the other end is still, but still noit sure that would cause a vibration at a certain speed????? All wheels have been balanced and not off roaded since.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:15:12 »
If you have that uch movement within thre propitself there's a problem.  If you can move either end of the prop radially by any amoun you have a problem.  If you can spin the prop a small amount before it seems to contact anything don't worry, if there were no backlash in the gearbox and diff then things would seize up.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 18:18:25 »
My diff exploded on Sunday, so I swaped it over today, no play in the diff that went in but on testing the vibration is worse? Could the old diif have been taking up some of the vibration due to ware, I can only think its the prop now, both of the UJ's are brand new, looks like prop off diff lock and test time :-k

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 18:36:24 »
When my diff went the propshaft bent as a direct result.  Jack up the back end and turn the wheel, I bet the propshaft looks like a banana now.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal