AuthorTopic: How reliable is the Grand Cherokee? (WJ models)  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Reggieroo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Nr Pershore, Worcestershire
  • Referrals: 0
How reliable is the Grand Cherokee? (WJ models)
« on: March 04, 2008, 14:14:17 »
I'm looking at getting the misses into a nice Grand Cherokee around the 99-2001 model.

I'm trying to find out if they are a good reliable car or is it like buying a P38 Range Rover & spending more time in the garage draining your bank balance than actually driving it.

I'm not expecting it to run forever like a Toyota does but would expect it to be reliable enough to get her to work & back (70 miles a day) without having to be best friends with the AA.

Its going to be running on LPG so I'm thinking of getting the 4.7 V8 but was told by a local mechanic to go for the 4.0 in line six instead.
I would much rather have a V8 though even though I've already got two  :lol:

I've been on an American forum but all the Americans love them like we love our Land Rovers & can't do no wrong, so it will be interesting to see what us English folks have to say about them.
1993 3.9 V8 Range Rover Classic
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

For a taste of Ireland delivered direct to your door www.theirishshop.co.uk

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com
www.offroadrangerovers.com
www.offroadlandrovers.com

skip

Re: How reliable is the Grand Cherokee? (WJ models)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 18:51:26 »

Its going to be running on LPG so I'm thinking of getting the 4.7 V8 but was told by a local mechanic to go for the 4.0 in line six instead.
I would much rather have a V8 though even though I've already got two  :lol:

I've got a 3.9 v8 disco and I've had a 4.0 litre cherokee, both on gas. The better engine is the jeeps straight 6 by miles :jealous:, it's proper bomb proof,  just as powerful and loves LPG. I'm affraid I know nothing about Jeeps 4.7 though :cry:.

Overall reliability should be alot better than a p38 rangie (no air suspension etc) Just make sure you find one that has nice quiet axles as the diffs can be the weak link, then make sure you change the diff oils regularly and you should see the better side of 250k :dance:.

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 19:47:01 »
As he said.... V8 is meant to be  bulletproof too. Really do check the rear diff.... if it's noisy, walk away. It's a buyers market especially for the bigger engines.

EE

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 23:46:34 »
Some electrical gremlins..seats operation etc.......diffs the main issue as said either walk away or factor in @£600 should it go........

FWIW for the money don't think you can buy a better all round 4x4 than a S/H GC these days.....
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline offroading.net

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 20:58:50 »
have one at 130k miles (I-6 one) and plan to keep in until it really dies, off for lpg soon. in 35k miles we have had it it has had brakes and thats it. (although it did use some water the other day it has stopped doing it now)
Steve Wright 

steve@offroading.net

My 110 Rebuild  gone but not forgotten  :(

Offline Popoff

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 00:20:38 »
Only just got mine, 4.7 V8 Outlander,  :lol: all I can say is it's all I had hoped for, if you can put up with the mpg  :shock: you will love it, V8 sounds super too, I just love driving it, you get real luxury, performance and capability - the best value top quality 4x4 you will find,  :clap: I just have to save up for the LPG and a 2" lift now  ;)  :dance:
98 Fourtrak TDL with just mt's fitted (now for sale)
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 Overland (255bhp & 17mpg)!! Cooper STT's OME 2" lift and Winch

This WJ's NOT on the school run!

(Sorry about the spelling)!

Offline bunnykins

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 22:46:01 »
i bought my first 4x4 a few months ago as my cousin runs a 4x4 adventure club in the far east and has two jeeps.

my jeep although a P reg has full dealer history and only 53k miles ! as you would expect the 4ltr straight 6 is a gem.
my intention was a weekend car and for towing a horse trailer,  but as its so comfortable and cruise control, had two
short breaks in peak district and wales ! it has been very reliable and no problems.

what i want now is an SRT-8  :twisted:

btw, keep away from the older diesels, except the current models which is a merc unit so should be reliable + robust

hope that helps.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 22:50:44 by bunnykins »

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 23:17:00 »
Well said...

Offline boogieman

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:44 »
I have a 3.1TD which I've owned for just over a year now & I love it  :smiley: It's a 2001 model with still a coupla hundred miles to do before it reaches the 50,000 mark ! Apart from a brake upgrade - to remove the judder - & a gearbox oil change 'cos the cheapskate last owner put the wrong stuff in, I've had no trouble.
 And the engine has plenty of grunt & makes a lovely roar too !!!   :smiley:

Offline nick h

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 15:11:22 »
having previously had an XJ 2,5 TC i bought a 4.7l V8 Grand just over a year ago

had a few mods done to improve it

a) Edelbrock IAS performance shocks all round - what a difference to handling/cornering

b) uprated/upgraded front brake calipers (think this was factory done post 2001?) and ventilated discs

c) bit of an engine remap  :-$ - now sub 7 seconds 0-60mph!

d) run on super unleaded - better performance and a slightly better mpg by about 2/4 mpg

e) next - probably a Borla or similar exhaust?

f) had the usual problems with the heater/blower connector melting - custom made replacement from the USA at about £9 delivered

g) front tweeters 'blew' (common problem) - got genuine updated/upgraded Mopar replacements and touch wood all is OK

h) all K and N filtration

reliability excellent, but Jeep dealer prices for silly little things are expensive to say the least!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:15:56 by nick h »

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 22:48:34 »
Yup...decent Jeep competant mechanics should be cloned.... :afro: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline nick h

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 10:20:51 »
Yup...decent Jeep competant mechanics should be cloned.... :afro: :dance: :dance: :dance:

and so should decent sales people!

was recently in a main dealership to pick up a few bits and was talking to a sales guy about the SRT8 (fancy one)

i explained that i needed a tow bar and the SRT8 centre exhausts were a problem - asked if Jeep could do anything - told NO!

then spent a bit of time online and low and behold found that in the USA Jeep/Mopar now sell a towbar inc exhaust mod for the SRT8 for about $800

why do UK dealers not know this?

Offline bunnykins

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:10:45 »
having previously had an XJ 2,5 TC i bought a 4.7l V8 Grand just over a year ago

had a few mods done to improve it

a) Edelbrock IAS performance shocks all round - what a difference to handling/cornering

b) uprated/upgraded front brake calipers (think this was factory done post 2001?) and ventilated discs

c) bit of an engine remap  :-$ - now sub 7 seconds 0-60mph!

d) run on super unleaded - better performance and a slightly better mpg by about 2/4 mpg

e) next - probably a Borla or similar exhaust?

f) had the usual problems with the heater/blower connector melting - custom made replacement from the USA at about £9 delivered

g) front tweeters 'blew' (common problem) - got genuine updated/upgraded Mopar replacements and touch wood all is OK

h) all K and N filtration

reliability excellent, but Jeep dealer prices for silly little things are expensive to say the least!

sounds like very decent mods - a must do  :lol:

i heard the borla sounds amazing exhaust and header , only one dealer in uk selling them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:13:51 by bunnykins »

Offline bunnykins

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:12:11 »
sounds like a few fans here for the SRT-8  :lol:

who has one ? and how does that compare to the V8 4.7 ltr ?

any specs ?

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:59:28 »

and so should decent sales people!

was recently in a main dealership to pick up a few bits and was talking to a sales guy about the SRT8 (fancy one)

i explained that i needed a tow bar and the SRT8 centre exhausts were a problem - asked if Jeep could do anything - told NO!

then spent a bit of time online and low and behold found that in the USA Jeep/Mopar now sell a towbar inc exhaust mod for the SRT8 for about $800

why do UK dealers not know this?

Because they are basically f**kwits.......Actually got asked at the dealers if my TJ was used offroad   There normally a few cm og mud all over it :roll:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal